Author Topic: Circa 1962 Magnavox Console Owners Manual and Info Packet  (Read 477 times)

PanAm

• View Profile
Circa 1962 Magnavox Console Owners Manual and Info Packet
« on: August 12, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
Looking for he stuff that you would have got when purchasing a new magnavox in 62. Thanks!

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Circa 1962 Magnavox Console Owners Manual and Info Packet
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:43:34 PM »
I have everything except the operator's manual for a Stereo Theater.  I'd like to have one for mine.  I have been considering reproducing some of the stuff you got with a new Magnavox, but nobody seemed interested and I don't need 25 of something for myself.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
Are you willing to part some extras? Mine came with absolutely nothing except a spare badge that needed to be glued back on.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »
The most complete documentation I have came with my 1961 Symphony.  I have the hang tag, the owner's manual, the platter mat, several warranty cards, that type of thing.  My idea was to have this stuff reproduced and add to it as people got something they would like to contribute.  Then make the repops available to members of this forum only for a reasonable cost, probably just what it cost to have the reproductions done.   Owner's manuals would be a huge asset if we could reproduce some of those.  CG and Imperial would be easy.  I have one for a Symphony.  Many instruments would share an owner's manual.  They were not model specific.  I have never seen one for a Stereo Theater.  Nobody showed interest, so I have never had them reproduced.  I don't need 25 and that was the minimum order of each thing.

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
If youíre ever willing to do it, Iím on board.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »
All that stuff is in AZ.  We could work on it this winter, if you'd like.  I'd also like to repop the model/serial number tags.  It seems those are always degraded.  We could also do the wiring diagrams that are pasted on the inside of the cabinet.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
Maybe the solution is just to make high-quality scans.  Then everybody who wanted the literature could download it and have it printed in the quality they prefer, at their own expense.

Chris Campbell

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »
I didnít even think about the serial number tags. Mines faded to the point where itís barely legible. Electra225, just let me know whenever your ready to start that. Chris, I like your idea of the scans, but I personally would like the reproduction better just for the fact that mine never came with documentation, and Iím trying to keep my unit as original as possible. And I can pass it of as original to the untrained eye. (Just Kidding!)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
We need to find owner's manuals for Stereo Theater models.  The rest is no problem.  I have a litho shop lined up that is willing to do the work.  Wonder if there is a need for knobs and those little plastic slides that go on the front doors on Imperials, CG's and Stereo Theaters?  And the Magnavox script on the front grille cloth that is frequently found broken or gone. 

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »
Mine has the Magnavox shield next to the the tuner. I need to glue it back on because it fell off. I think the shields would be a good thing to reproduce too.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »
Greg, I have an owner's manual for my 1961 Stereo Theatre 1-MV419M.  I just found it about a week ago.  I'll try to scan it in pdf format and upload it. 
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »
Paul, that would be fantastic!  Thank you so much!

The Magnavox emblem fell off on my Stereo theater tuner and is gone.  I found another one, fortunately.  They might be able to be reproduced out of plastic.  3D printer?

And for those of us who own "400 series" Stereo Theaters with a 27" CRT, we should try to round up some spare 27ZP4 CRT's.  I'm told they don't grow on trees.   ;)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
If you have a marginal or bad CRT, don't throw it away!  The last remaining picture tube re-builder in the United States, Hawkeye, closed its doors in 2010.  However, the Early Television Museum ( http://www.earlytelevision.org/crt_rebuilding_at_museum.html ) received the CRT rebuilding equipment from Hawkeye and is in the process of learning how to use the equipment and rebuild CRT's for collectors.  They would be the only CRT re-builders in the world.
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »
We need to dig up 27ZP4's that are good and that we can lay our hands on.  I would not put much faith in the ETF and their ability to rebuild them, certainly not in our lifetimes. 

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
Iím assuming my 330 series is hard to find too. Electra 225, how would I be able to get channels on my TV? I donít know if you hooked it up or not.  It works I just get static and some faint background noise? I want to watch the Dick Van Dyke Show on my retro tv!