Author Topic: Another car question  (Read 1016 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Another car question
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
I restored a '57 Roadmaster convertible for a guy who insisted that God drives a '57 Roadmaster convertible, Garnet Red over Raven black with black and white leather interior and five Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels!  '57 Buicks started the downfall and the near demise of the Buick marque as we know it.  But for the cleanly styled and reliable 1962 models (along with some nudging from Red Curtis) the fate of Buick could well have been that of its main rival, Desoto.  "Suddenly it's 1949!" was the gripe of Chrysler as they tried to sell their new finned wonders and compared them to the three-piece rear window of most '57 GM big cars.

That all aside, the styling of the Super and Roadmasters was tough to beat. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 09:34:39 PM »
Update on the Chevy.  I took a vacation day on Monday and had it hauled to the rebuilder.  He promises perfection--fancy new valve guides and seals and seats,  on and on.  It's all he does now.  The owner of the '66 LeMans sitting there is from Dubai.  Maybe he can make enough money off the wealthy guy to go easy on me. He remembered the place that did hydraulic hoses across the street because as a young man he worked for a local trucking company doing maintenance.  He'd look out the window while waiting for his hose and wonder why the old gas station across the street was such a dump, surrounded by junk.  Then his dad bought the place and they had to clean it up.  It's a little two-bay modular Standard Oil station.  He said that there used to be four in town and now just two of that model are left.

The Chevy will be running in a week to ten days, he said.  I've got to call him and ask him to do the pinion seal too because after we pushed the car back & forth it started leaking. I was done with leaving lube puddles when I sold the Corvair in 1970.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
I restored a '57 Roadmaster convertible for a guy who insisted that God drives a '57 Roadmaster convertible, Garnet Red over Raven black with black and white leather interior and five Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels! 
That all aside, the styling of the Super and Roadmasters was tough to beat.

I just saw an ad for a new biography of Harley Earl, "Fins."  Between Harley Earl and Virgil Exner, the '50s were an age of exuberance.  Call me a peasant with no taste, but I liked most of those cars.  1958 less so for GM, at least, but nobody could deny that cars were identifiable.  While my Dad was driving around in the '61 Chevy, my mother had the 1960 Plymouth Fury wagon, with fins that rivaled a '59 Cadillac and other Exner style features.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »
A Chevy update.  We're waiting for the transmission rebuilder to recuperate from his knee surgery.  The engine guy was talking about painting the engine when I talked to him last week so I guess that's done.  My sister snapped a photo of the car with its nose pointed skyward because the 283 and transmission were out.  So tonight, looking forward to driving it home soon under it own power for the first time in 30 years, I started a Google search to verify the place of assembly.  It's Flint, a good Michigan automotive city.  And yeah, the VIN verifies that it's a convertible (model 1867) too.  Not that I had any doubt, but at least the numbers make sense.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
It looks good Chris.  It's getting closer.   :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »
Did the engine rebuilder give any indication that they found out why it would not run?  The last year for the old cast iron Powerglide was 1962, was it not?  I believe the 327's in 1962 had the first aluminum case Powerglides. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
I haven't really had a good chat with the rebuilder.  He's 140 miles away.  I have a lot of questions for him when I pick up the car.  He did say there was lots of wear and sludge (lead-footed teen drivers plus, as he put it, "oil wasn't very good back then.").  It's bored out oversize.  He said how much but it was my current cell phone, which is barely intelligible and I promptly forgot if I heard it.  Modern valve guides & seals installed.  Don't now if he re-did my carb rebuild.

It was hard to get a straight story on the Powerglide from the internet. 

When I get it back I'll make a heater-core bypass because if the radiator was dead, the heater core can't be far behind.  And they never fail when it's convenient.  The generator is no. 3 so far, I think.  No. 2 was installed late one night at a gas station in a place far from home.  My friend laughs about how I had to tell the guy how to polarize it.  But the real take-home was that back then, probably about 1968, a gas station would have a Delco generator to fit a Chevy V-8 back in the service bay and I could get it installed at midnight.  Now the service bay is a convenience store peddling fried and sugar-based foods and if you need a car part you're SOL. 

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
I didn't know that was a '61.  My dad had a red one with red and black upholstery.  He kept that thing simonized like a fire engine.  My parents were divorced and when he'd come to get me on Friday my grandmother would say here comes Don Ameche in that d_____ Cadillac! :-)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »
Here's a video of a very nice one, black with red interior.  The Chevy appears at about 2:59.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUtF6MLtMN4&t=468s

I wasted all manner of time online last night looking at Chevy videos and web sites.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 07:06:46 AM »
It's never a waste of time if you are relaxed and having fun.  ;)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
I know, but it's like checking out one YouTube video.  You watch that one, and then they give a really interesting one over on the right side of the screen, and you click on that one, and before long the whole evening has passed.

So in that spirit, I'll post the link to my YouTube video of my '56 Provincial Serenade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTwBcUbcj64&t=146s

Before long, I hope to have a video of the Chevy driving on down the road under its own power.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 07:06:23 AM »
 ;D  ;D

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 08:08:04 AM »
 :)   :)

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
I just dropped my 72 911 off with a resto guy in Ohio abd he had a lone 65 Chevy Impala there among the 10 Porsche’s. It reminded me of the car my father in law had as a kid. 66 Chevelle convert with a 396/4spd SS I suppose all in that cool Aqua Blue. I keep telling the wife She needs a car like that lol.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2018, 08:15:07 PM »
Hey, I visited my Chevy at the shop on Monday.  I took the day off for the boat's haul-out in the same town where the Chevy resides.  The engine is all done, all painted bright Chevrolet orange, and pretty on the engine stand.  He bored it out to .030" ("it was pretty rough") and replaced the whole valve train.  One old pushrod had lost its ball end and some of the others  were pretty crusty looking.  He has replaced everything.  I'm not sure how the crankshaft fared--whether it got machined or just new bearings.   That's on my list of questions but I didn't have the list when I visited.  The engine rebuilder laughed that he had forgotten how heavy a cast-iron Powerglide is.  He has a fancy transmission jack but had to scoot it into his pickup bed.  He had the tranny guy's kids lift it out.  As soon as the transmission is ready, I'll be driving the Chevy home.

Chris Campbell