Author Topic: Can anyone ID this one?  (Read 462 times)

Mark

• View Profile
Can anyone ID this one?
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »
Does anyone recognize the make and model of this one?

danrclem

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone ID this one?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm going to guess Motorola and that it's SS judging by the changer.  I've saw quite a few Motorola consoles with similar styling.  This is only a guess.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »
I believe it may be a 1963 Voice of Music model 869.  That would be all tube with a separate amplifier.  Very nice console.  I didn't realize it had options for a reel to reel!  Does that one have a R2R?  The 3 images of the console are from an AudioKarma thread I found.
Paul

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 08:06:37 AM »
that is VOM.

I had a few of those.

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 07:32:39 PM »
Well I guess my guess was wrong.   :-[

It looks like a nice console though.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
Interesting that is has two 45rpm adaptors.  Did you buy it?  You should.  VM made some good stuff and they were built not far from me. 

Bill

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
To wrap up the thread, this console was at an estate sale pretty near me. I didn't end up going. I'm intrigued by the idea of tube powered audio. But when it comes down to bringing home a console, I'd have to put it somewhere. And I have component stereos in two rooms. I'd probably have to have someone else refurbish it. So I didn't go for it.
But I did enjoy learning about this VOM model and looking at the VOM website. Thank you for the info. It's fun to window-shop. Maybe someday...

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:27:32 AM »
Window shopping eventually leads to a purchase.   ::)  Don't be afraid, if I can rebuild so can you. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
I've always had a certain fondness for V-M because they were based in Michigan.  In the 8th grade we moved in to a new school building and the band room had a V-M tape recorder and two V-M amplified speakers.  In high school, there was an older V-M tape recorder that was soon replaced with a Wollensak T-1500.  Several friends' families had V-M 560 tabletop phonos.  Now I have a nice mahogany 566 console and a bunch of minor V-M products including a well-used 1200GE stand-alone record changer with a GE VR-II cartridge.  I'll bet that big console in the photos is a winner.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 07:37:16 AM »
It sure would be Chris!

Bill

Alfista

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
Now I have a nice mahogany 566 console and a bunch of minor V-M products including a well-used 1200GE stand-alone record changer with a GE VR-II cartridge.

Take good care of that VR-II, Chris. I sold one in good shape a couple of years ago for $185.00!

-Tim

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »

[/quote]

Take good care of that VR-II, Chris. I sold one in good shape a couple of years ago for $185.00!

-Tim
[/quote]

Wow!  Maybe I can retire--I've got quite a few VR-IIs around.  That was my first magnetic cartridge, played through a Bogen DB-115 mono 6BQ5 integrated amp.  Homemade enclosures (from a Stereo Review article) for a couple GE "extended range" 8" speakers.  I pretty soon upgraded from the V-M changer to a Garrard RC-80. 

Chris Campbell