Author Topic: New guy with a Continental  (Read 528 times)

yuckyellow

• View Profile
New guy with a Continental
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
This is my first post! I inherited a Continental in mint condition from my grandfather. It has not been used in many years. Should I be afraid to plug it in and see if it works? Do the capacitors need to be replaced first for safety? Thanks

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New guy with a Continental
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:21:42 PM »
I do not recommend that you plug it in to see if it works.  You should either service it yourself or have it done before you try to use it.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:36:34 PM »
If I replace the electrolytic and paper caps will it be safe to plug in?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »
There are lots of other parts in that instrument besides capacitors.  You need to find a schematic for both the tuner and the amplifier and go thru it per that schematic and make sure everything is like it should be.  Replacing the capacitors is the right thing to do.  I would still power it up after cap replacement with a dim bulb and a Variac to lessen the chance of damage if something goes wrong.

If all is well after this initial start-up procedure, you should be safe to continue troubleshooting as necessary.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »
The real danger is that a bad filter capacitor would take out the power transformer.   A lesser one is that a bad paper coupling cap could lead an out put tube into meltdown and maybe kill your output transformer in the process.  But generally you get a clue about that one when you see the output tube plates starting to glow orange.

That said, I've plugged in many old devices and had nothing worse than a loud hum from dried-out filter caps.  One guitar amp worked but had faintly glowing output tube plates.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  Now I do power-up with a dim bulb tester, usually, because it will avert disaster.

Chris Campbell

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
Got it out of the cabinet yesterday. The amp is marked as AMP 150 CB. The tuner is a 5201 AA. Here are a few pics.

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
Does anyone have a schematic for the 5201 tuner?

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
Can someone tell me what type of part I have highlighted in the attached picture? It is in my tuner. I noticed a little bit of char on it. Does it need to be replaced?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »
A little hard to tell from the photo, but maybe it's a resistor with a wire wound around it to serve as a choke?  Or a capacitor with the same addition?  The schematic would tell you.

Chris Campbell

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:41 PM »
So I have the amp and radio up and going. Now I am working on the record changer. I believe it is a Collaro RC 456. I have reviewed the service manual and canít figure out how to solve my problem. The problem is that the tone arm does not sweep all the way out to above the rest at the end of the cycle. This means that the tone arm is still under the record when it drops. Not good! Sometimes it works OK but more often it screws up. Anybody know how to adjust?

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
Mine is just under the edge of the record when it drops.  That appears to be the cue for the the tonearm to set up for the next record as opposed to the arm freely moving across to the center, then back to the rest to cycle off.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
ó Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »
You didn't say whether you had disassembled the changer and cleaned out all the old grease and other lube.  That's almost always necessary in items this old, because the grease turns hard and the lighter lubes get all viscous from age.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 10:47:50 PM »
You may need to raise the tone arm a bit so it contacts the edge of the record on the cradle.  If the tone arm is not adjusted high enough, it goes under the record on the cradle, rather than touching the edge of it.  And, as Chris said, if something is binding due to old hard grease, that can cause it.  If the tone arm does not touch the edge of the record, it "sees" a smaller record, so the large record falls on top of the tone arm.

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
TC Chris - I have not taken it apart completely. I did disassemble the motor and relube the bearings. Motor is now running good. For the changer I have just cleaned with alcohol as best I can without taking it apart. Relubed where needed with white lithium grease.

Electra225 - This changer does not use the tone arm to sense the record diameter. It has a turret with a finger that sits beside the overarm.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 08:14:48 AM »
Could you post a picture of the changer, to make certain of the one you have?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
ó Arthur C. Clarke