Author Topic: New guy with a Continental  (Read 501 times)

yuckyellow

• View Profile
Re: New guy with a Continental
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »
Photo of the record player as requested...

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
I thought it would help to identify the changer in your unit.  I have only had experience with the Micromatic changers.  I'm sure someone has been through one like yours.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with that one, either. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
My Berkshire has a similar changer, and mine was acting up as well.  The finger that senses the record size on my was sticky acting.  I cleaned and lightly lubed the mechanical part that the finger attaches to and everything was fine.  If memory serves the changer was in the downloads.  I printed off the service info so I had something to go by.

Bill

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
I have identified the changer as an RC 456 from the studying the service manuals in the download section. There are no actual markings on the changer itself to indicate model number.

The record sensing finger works OK. It goes up and down easily, and record diameter seems to be properly sensed.

My problem is that the tone arm is still in the way when the record drops. At the end of a record the tone arm lifts and sweeps out towards the tone arm rest. The tone arm should be above the rest when the next record drops. In my case, the tone arm is still slightly under the edge of the record when it drops. There are no directions in the service manual on how to adjust this motion.

yuckyellow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
Just a quick update. I took the changer completely apart. Cleaned off all dried grease. Lightly lubricated with white lithium grease, and reassembled. The changer now works perfectly.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »
There is nothing better than to have success with a project.  ;)

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 10:25:50 PM »
I'm glad you did that of your own accord.  That was the best course of action to take.  It sometimes seems lame to recommend the full takedown, but most folks with changer problems gets big benefit from doing so. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »
You're a better man than I am, that's for sure.  I would not have taken a Collaro all apart for any reason.  Glad you got it sorted.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.