Author Topic: A Daunting Task...  (Read 130 times)

Plansby

• View Profile
A Daunting Task...
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »
Hi there!

I recently took possession of this Magnavox that had been kicking around various family members' garages for decades. Before I knew better, I plugged it in and fired it up and the turntable failed almost immediately, but the radio works, although sound only comes from one speaker.

I have decided to test the limits of my wife's patience and see what I can do to revive it. I am just starting out, but plan to essentially remove the console and components, clean up the box and reinstall, adding a Bluetooth receiver, to make all my hipster friends jealous.

I found a picture in the 1970 catalog, it is the one on top: "Tasteful Contemporary." I am attaching a couple of photos, and the rest can be found at https://photos.app.goo.gl/UcL47QH33rJ5wpKW9

Based on the labeling, I am guessing it's a 1970 AstroSonic 1P3631 in Walnut from Run 1, with a W801-01-00 console. Does that sound correct?

Any advice or direction would be a big help! I have begun a search through various discussions, but haven't found much on point, as far as I could tell.

Thanks in advance!

Plansby

• View Profile
Re: A Daunting Task...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Ok, so I realized that the W801-01-00 is the turntable, not the console. The more you know!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
There should be numbers such as R204-30-XX or similar stamped in black ink somewhere on the chassis.  That is the number you use for a schematic.  The W801 number is used to get information for the changer.  You should probably clean all the switches and controls to see if that affects your dead channel.  More probably you will need to replace all the capacitors in the tuner/amp chassis to get it to work properly and for the long term.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.!
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 07:49:34 AM »
Welcome!  Good advice from Greg.  Read everything here on the forum, it's filled with lots of information.  Don't forget to check out the downloads section.

Bill

Plansby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
I finally got the chassis out and found the (faded) sticker; it's an R222-01-CD.

I didn't see anything in the Downloads, but Sam's had a Photofact for the R222 series that they say is the same one. A few of the resistors on the diagram don't seem to be the same as ones on my board; do I chalk this up to my color-blindness or should I look for a different schematic?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 08:24:04 PM »
Well, color blindness can be a problem when coding out resistors!  Get somebody with accurate vision to double check, but one lesson from following this group is that as-drawn and as-built can be two different things.  Design changes were not always reflected on formal schematics.  Assuming that the resistor hasn't had color changes from overheating, I'd be inclined to go with as-built.

Chris Campbell