Author Topic: Magnavox Little Imperial? Irvington, Ky. $50  (Read 96 times)

danrclem

• View Profile
Magnavox Little Imperial? Irvington, Ky. $50
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
When it rains if pours.  This is a handsome unit also for $50.00.  I haven't looked it up but it appears to be a Little Imperial or possibly a Symphony.  It's only about 60 miles from me but I just don't have any room.  Unless I happen to run into a Concert Grand.   ;)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Little Imperial? Irvington, Ky. $50
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »
That cabinet is listed in the 1961 & 1962 catalogs as a model 1ST657 Symphony.   With the "200 series" six-knob tuner.  The one you pictured plainly shows having a five-knob tuner.  That cabinet does not appear in the 1963 catalog that I see.  You may have a "Mystery Magnavox" on your hands.  It would be well worth $50.   

Edit....I looked in my picture files and found another "late" Symphony with the five-knob tuner.  It also had horns replacing its six small speakers.  It would be interesting to see if this instrument is one of the later Symphonies so equipped.  When they used horns, they also used 12" woofers like in my Stereo Theater. 

It could also be a little Imperial, model 1ST663.  It is in the same cabinet as the 1ST657 Symphony.  The Symphony is listed as having 8 speakers, while the Imperial has horns.  I have never seen a little Imperial with a five-knob tuner.  The 1962 Magnavox line-up starts to get confusing.   
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Sometimes I think that Magnavox went to see what parts were available at the time and started building with what they had. 

I forgot to mention that this one is on Facebook also.  If anybody is interested and can't find it I'll be more than happy to send them your contact information.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »
As Greg stated, it's a mystery Magnavox.  I have the same cabinet with 5 knobs, 12" woofers, horn tweeters, and the 9300 series amp.  Model 3ST657.  So maybe it's really a Imperphony or Symperial!  ::)

Bill