Author Topic: Zenith 5S-127  (Read 719 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Zenith 5S-127
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
I really believe I am wasting my time working on this thing without changing the resistors.  A problem I'm having is identifying them.  The colors have mostly faded into nothingness.  Thank God for a schematic.  I'm going to change all the resistors and a couple micas in the oscillator circuit.  I kinda/sorta aligned the IF section this afternoon.  Had that part working well until I went in to get a sandwich.  Came back out and nothing would work.  Apparently, I need to clean the volume control and/or tone control.  Fiddling with them restored the output from the signal generator in the radio speaker.  The oscillator should really be working.  If it is out of alignment as much as the IF's were, I can see why it is not working. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »
    I guess a lot of non-working radios you find these days once passed through the hands of someone who knew just enough to be dangerous and turned all the adjustments--and left them turned--- as if that's why a working radio suddenly stopped working---all the adjustments drifted several turns out  of alignment. Then it's advertised for sale "as is" implying a bad part or something cuz they're embarrassed  to tell what they did. It's like trying to tune a car that someone changed the plugs on and mixed up the plug wires by mistake, but doesn't tell you that.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
I'm 1400 miles away from this radio right now, which may be good.  I'm going to regroup in the spring and change the resistors and take it from there. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.