Author Topic: Zenith 5S-127  (Read 1095 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Zenith 5S-127
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
I really believe I am wasting my time working on this thing without changing the resistors.  A problem I'm having is identifying them.  The colors have mostly faded into nothingness.  Thank God for a schematic.  I'm going to change all the resistors and a couple micas in the oscillator circuit.  I kinda/sorta aligned the IF section this afternoon.  Had that part working well until I went in to get a sandwich.  Came back out and nothing would work.  Apparently, I need to clean the volume control and/or tone control.  Fiddling with them restored the output from the signal generator in the radio speaker.  The oscillator should really be working.  If it is out of alignment as much as the IF's were, I can see why it is not working. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:44:17 AM »
    I guess a lot of non-working radios you find these days once passed through the hands of someone who knew just enough to be dangerous and turned all the adjustments--and left them turned--- as if that's why a working radio suddenly stopped working---all the adjustments drifted several turns out  of alignment. Then it's advertised for sale "as is" implying a bad part or something cuz they're embarrassed  to tell what they did. It's like trying to tune a car that someone changed the plugs on and mixed up the plug wires by mistake, but doesn't tell you that.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
I'm 1400 miles away from this radio right now, which may be good.  I'm going to regroup in the spring and change the resistors and take it from there. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »
I've got a slightly older tombstone, a 6-S-27 from 1936.  It has  bad interstage audio transformer.  This was a gift from before the internet age so it got put into storage--a "one of these days" radio.  But maybe I should move it up in priority.

Chris Campbell

Chris , I just did a restore on that same model for a friend of mine , I forget is that 6-S-27 the battery set or electric? Like the looks of the curved front on that one.. had to make the dial pointer because his was missing, and the dial was gone ordered a replacement from radiodaze…. turned out nice.
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
Mine is in storage in Bay City.  I just looked up the schematic on Nostalgia Air and it shows AC power, but also no interstage audio transformer.  My recollection was that it was a battery set and I'm quite sure that I diagnosed the faulty transformer. Either my mind is frail (OK, yeah) or I wrote the number down wrong.

Chris Campbell 

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
nice thing about the tube sets is you could throw just about anything in as long as the winding resistance was close , I have ordered generic replacements from antique radio supply , they worked fine ...
Elton

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
I acquired my Zenith before we had the internet.  In those days, you found a large paper catalog from one of the electronics-parts houses and searched for an appropriate part.  Or in Michigan, placed an ad in the MARC publication and hoped somebody had a parts set.  But there was a lot of sending envelopes back and forth.  So it got put in line for a some-day focus.  Then I moved, and it went into storage, and I bought what I called "the small house with the large price" and it has stayed in storage. 

I would vote for adding about 4 extra hours onto each day, and making it illegal to force anybody to work (at a job for pay) during them.  Then I could get caught up.

Chris Campbell