Author Topic: 1962 Fisher President...gone in three days!  (Read 189 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
1962 Fisher President...gone in three days!
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »
Pat, did you snatch this 1962 Fisher President as the kissing cousin to your 1961?  It was listed in the Minneapolis craigslist on Sept 4th, but this morning it was gone!  The owner was asking $3000, but it didn't slow someone down.  Looks to be in very good and original condition.  Someone got a good one for their collection.  I'll say it again: the Milwaukee-Minneapolis-Chicago corridor has the richest array of TOTL vintage audio equipment in the nation!  I've quit being surprised at what shows up for sale in that region.  I'm speechless!
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Re: 1962 Fisher President...gone in three days!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 06:04:46 PM »
more images
Paul

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:35:48 PM »
That is one fine piece of audio equipment. 

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Fisher didn't spend much on cabinet design.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 04:20:22 AM »
The modern version was built by Widdicomb of Grand Rapids.  Not sure if they also supplied the Provincial style.  I never found a tag on mine.

Plus the modern was available in several woods.  The cabinets are most impressive in person.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:38 AM »
Widdicomb was one of Grand Rapids finest furniture companies.  In it's day Grand Rapids was known for it's furniture and had the reputation for producing the US's finest furniture. Widdicomb, Stickely, Carl Forslund, and Kindel were 4 of the best, all produced in GR.  Their quality is what I call heirloom, lasting for generations.

Bill

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
that's about what I paid for my 1958 Fisher President console. It was a pretty much gutted, except for the turntable and reel to reel.

I do like this one though...

cabinet would need to be redone, but that color is nice
Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »
Grand Rapids was filled with furniture companies in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  I'm typing this with the computer sitting on a mahogany desk from my grandparents' house made by Imperial in GR.  My grandparents, who lived in the western lower peninsula, had a lot of GR furniture.  A lot of it was aimed at the middle classes.  I've got a repro Colonial gateleg table from their house at my office that I use as a conference table.  The higher end companies in western Michigan were ones like Baker.  In 1978 I took off from Lansing on a bicycle tour.  It was pouring rain when I got to Holland so I stopped at the local library--dry, free--and looked at tourist literature.  Baker had a furniture museum--basically, a public warehouse of specimens that Mr. Baker collected in Europe and the east coast, just sitting in rows.  In my bedroom I've got a reproduction mahogany dresser by Johnson.  I bought it at a used furniture store.  My Dad spotted it and said "Gee, you can't buy an unfinished pine dresser for that price."  Later I saw the original example advertised in a high-end antiques magazine for very big bucks--the exact same design.  Mine has very cool book-matched mahogany crotch veneers, just like the original.  My Dad, as usual, was smarter than I was.  Grand Rapids office furniture from the mid 20th century (Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc.) is very collectible too.  My uncle married a woman named Schoonbeck.  They had a furniture factory in GR in the first part of the 20th century.  My Mom has a couch they made, a hand-me-down,  still going strong about 70 years later.

Chris Campbell