Author Topic: Astro Sonic 1-ST648  (Read 407 times)

19and41

• View Profile
Astro Sonic 1-ST648
« on: September 08, 2018, 09:23:24 PM »
I found that the model number that I thought was on the faded tag on my console was incorrect.  I am starting a new correctly titled thread.  Does anyone know a source for schematics for the receiver?  it is a R204-01-40.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Astro Sonic 1-ST648
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »
Steve Johnson "theschematicman.com" is who I would try.  You might have to call him if you don't find what you need in the index.  You can get a real print for $8.95 including shipping.  He does downloads, too, but I have never tried that.  I assume you checked in "Downloads" here of the forum. 

BTW, I have an R204 series chassis out of a Stereo Theater if you need parts or whatever.  Or the entire thing.  I know nothing about it except it does not have tubes. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 03:59:23 PM »
I Listened to my favorite program last evening on it.  Just wonderful.  They began with an hour of Dave Brubeck, et al.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
I have removed the platen from the record changer and could find no numbers.  I would like to get new styli for it.  Anyone know what type?
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
What kind of cartridge is in it?  If you don't know, or can't identify it, send a picture of the cartridge to Gary at VM Enthusiasts and he can get you what you need.  All my Magnavox instruments except the Stereo Theater have Electro-Voice model 26 cartridges in them.  The ST has an EV, model unknown.  It has a flip needle rather than a flip cartridge. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
That record changer may have a missing tag but it looks like a W600 series, probably a W604.

The ones I have like that use an Electro Voice 150 series cart and Pfanstiehl 365 needle.

R204 chassis is in sams set 841 in downloads under magnificent Magnavox schematics consoles
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:45:16 PM »
Thanks!  I've just had it open again and there is no ID on it.  I have found that the rubber items on it respond well to treatment with super lube.  It soaks it right up and leaves it feeling more rubbery than it should for it's age.
Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:02 PM »
Off today and the stylus came from VM this afternoon. Replaced the old one and got out my records that have pretty much lain idle since putting them up 20 years ago.  The records do sound good, but my digital files sound just as nice and have no clicks nor pops.  as far as any speed distortion, I can hear none.  Thanks for the help in ID'ing the changer.  Now I am in search of a capacitor assortment to cover the necessary electrolytics without having to huy them piecemeal.  Listening to The Creative World Of Stan Kenton.  That record would show up any aberrations in a heartbeat and it is playing it flawlessly.
Arthur C. Clarke

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
That's good to hear Stan Kenton sounds on-point. I grabbed a few of his records because he was in a 1958 Zenith Magazine ad with Les Brown. That should give little trouble to anyone who runs it regularly.

I finished up 20 & 30 - watt Astrosonics like yours, I need to make room in my shop and these two were very routine and basically worked as found. I mean, it took only about 1/4 of the time I spend on a tube console :o

I may keep the smaller one for stacking records to listen in my shop, has paperwork from 1967 - local audio business back when they were HiFi, etc. (now into home automation and install high-end AV).
One a R214 dated 12/66 and the other a R220 dated 12/68, most of the caps in the older one were blue Matsushita and I replaced the black Nichicons in the output stage only. 

The 1969 "Hancock" has 30 W and had all blue caps the showed good ESR - and it sounds great, so it only required cleaning pots.

Both these consoles have the W624 Micromatic (all silver except for platter mat) with the later EV-275 P-mount cartridges, ceramic of course. there is something classic and cool about the black plastic tone-arm on the older ones :P

I also have a spare R204 chassis dated 1964 and that needs all its black Nichicon electrolytics replaced, a working spare W604 record changer BUT every one of the Magnavox Astro's I get for next to nothing, don't need many parts :D, just deOxit and mjor cleaning and re-lube. Easy stuff - great results!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
Get the album Kenton In HiFi.  That $ounds great on a good system.  I've just ordered a electrolytic cap assortment that covers most of the list and singles for the power supply. I also ordered a Velleman solder extractor iron to see how it does thru-hole.
Arthur C. Clarke