Author Topic: Nice Ebony Zenith  (Read 600 times)

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
Nice Ebony Zenith
« on: September 10, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
I ended up getting the Nice Ebony Zenith I posted on sightings back on June 22nd. It had disappeared for a while and last week it came back on at half price .  Now I have two Ebony Zeniths. I also scored a really this  nice pair of Philco's last weekend at an Estate sale. The extra speaker also has an amp in it. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Nice Ebony Zenith
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Wow, handsome devices.  We'll wait for the listening report.  Meanwhile, I'm really jealous of your storage arrangements. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
What Chris said!   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »
You have a very nice collection.  My question:  How many of them do you listen too?  And which one is your favorite?

Bill

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
My favorites were my  Zenith Cantata, RCA SHF-6 and a TOTL AstroSonic 100 but lately I've gotten into more 70's stuff .  I still love my console's especially ones with the  Mid Century Modern look . I'll buy them and clean them up and just stick it on a shelf for later. I don't care if they work or not as long as it's all original,clean and all there. I can always fix them later .   I still go audio hunting everyday at thrift stores.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:28:14 AM »
The ebony Zenith on the right is model MP500, a very unique model that I restored for someone two years ago. I like Zenith for the straightforward repairs, solid build quality (true of most domestic units of the era), super RF-IF stages and sweet sound.

The ebony Zenith on the left is the TOTL or close to it with a push pull stereo amp. I have not had the pleasure of working on one of those, the single-ended 6BQ5 Zeniths were enough HiFi for most buyers. 
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 02:51:59 PM »
Yes I remember you telling me about the hinges for the speakers being the speakers wire on the MP500.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »
I like you setup Picard.  What is everything sitting on?

Bill

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
I built shelves out of wood all the way to the ceiling and yes I need more space . My work desk is in the middle and I watch TV on my old TVs while I fix them.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
How about the component receivers, and what are they and what are they sitting on? Are those just speakers or consoles?

Thanks,
Bill

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
One receiver is a Pioneer QX-8000A and the other is a TOTL Pioneer SX-3900. All of that is thrift store finds. Got really lucky a month ago and found  the complete system
with the speakers minus the turntable. Someone that worked at the thrift store stole the turntable.  They said it didn't work and they threw it away. The whole system was there with all the manuals and even the color coded original speaker wire. Everything is in mint shape and works perfect. The Turntable popped up on C-List a week later and I got it for $70. It also had the manual just like all the other stuff and from 1972-73 just like the rest of the system. Everything is sitting on my two Altec Capistrano's

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:03 PM »
You have a lot of stuff, and all of it looks very nice.  Very neat and orderly.  Florida must be great pickings, I wish I could find that around here.   ;)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 07:43:24 PM »
Have you worked on that Teac?  New belts?  Caps?

Chris Campbell

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
I've never even plugged in the TEAC yet but I bet it works. Super clean all the manuals and cables and not even a scratch on the cover but I don't have but one music reel.Maybe one day I'll run across a big collection at a thrift store and hook it up

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
Of course, one big advantage of a tape recorder is that you can make your own recordings--live, or off the air, or copying other recordings.  Some prerecorded tapes have spectacular sound, but a good machine and good raw tape can make good recordings.

Chris Campbell