Author Topic: Dial glass for Sylvania console  (Read 188 times)

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
Dial glass for Sylvania console
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
Electronic parts are not that hard to come by, but dial glass with the frequency numbers can make or break a repair.  I have a Sylvania  console chassis that has been "altered" from trying to clean it.  It is off of a Sylvania 1966 R14-5 chassis that reads left to right, not front to back.  I know this would be a Looong shot, but thought I'd ask if anybody has an old console that isn't working, and wants to sell the dial glass (or the whole chassis for that matter).  Can't hurt to ask now, can it?

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Dial glass for Sylvania console
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
If I can find a picture Ill post it. Is it the older style dial glass like this?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
Re: Dial glass for Sylvania console
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »
Motorola Minion, you have a very close dial glass.  The knobs are the same, but the glass is different as the selection of inputs is by push buttons along the top of the face.  I tried scanning the glass with a black background so the numbers would show up better.  It also shows my "handiwork" when I was cleaning.  There was a "Log" scale running down the middle that I did the most damage to.  I ended up trying to clean most of it off to clean it up.  Even with a soft bristle paintbrush, the letters came off very easily.  I don't have the chassis anymore as I sent it back to the owner, but I'm still looking to see if I can find one to replace it.  Here's one of the scans so you can get an idea, the actual glass is about a quarter inch overlapped on both ends as I have a flatbed scanner.  It's also a little blurry because I couldn't set it directly on the scanner glass.  In any case it gives you an idea.  Thanks very much for taking the time to check for me.