Author Topic: FS Magnavox Serenade  (Read 307 times)

SteveJB

• View Profile
FS Magnavox Serenade
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:28:25 AM »
I have a nice Serenade for sale. Circa about 1959-60.  It's been recapped and the 220k resistors replaced. The phonograph works but needs a tune up. 

Asking 150.00,  I can bring to Kutztown next week. I can send pics also.
Thanks,
Steve

SteveJB

• View Profile
Re: FS Magnavox Serenade
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
I added pictures.  I had taken out the 6V6s to test but haven't had a chance to do so (no tube tester at home), that's why they aren't in the photo.  The tuner plays well with plenty of sound.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:50:25 AM »
Nice looking unit, and you did all the right things so it should sell.  Have you listed it?   Since I'm kind of dumb, but maybe this was like Sandy Eggo post.  :-[  Where the heck is Kutztown? 

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 10:08:18 AM »
Kutztown is a big radio swap meet.  I have no idea where, though.  Out East somewhere.   :-[
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
Between Allentown and reading at Renninger's marketplace. 

SteveJB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
It an outdoor event in Eastern PA. Rain or shine it draws collectors from far and near (mostly near)!

Lots of parts, whole sets and comradery.  I'll be camping out in my truck there Friday night.  Lots of fun.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:44:36 PM »
Thank guys, I learned something.  Maybe I should put that on my bucket list.   ;)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »
Interesting... yours resembles my 1956 model in most respects but the amp in yours is just 2 output tubes, presumably 6V6, whereas mine has 4 in parallel push-pull.  Maybe Magnavox had a 6V6 crisis and had to cut back for a while?  Maybe they figured nobody would notice?

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »
Ok, maybe I'm seeing this wrong.  I see 4 empty sockets.  What I don't see is the single 6V6 socket for the horn.  I also see two plugs where tubes or connectors should be.  It also has two output transformers.  I'm confused.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »
Gee, you're right.  I was seeing 6v6s where it's actually 2 5U4s, right?  And 4 empty sockets on the chassis for the output tubes.  So this is basically identical to my 1956 model.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
There are two 5U4's and four empty 6V6's.  What I don't see is the 6V6 for the treble channel. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »
If it's like my Serenade (and it looks to be), there is no separate amp for the highs.  The same 4 output tubes do it all but with separate output transformers.  It's a sort of quasi-biamping.  Interesting design, and one not molested by bean-counters, who surely would have questioned the need for a separate output transformer when a simple capacitor crossover would have sufficed (and did on my Magnasonic from the same year, with almost the same amp).

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 05:45:04 PM »
I just learned something.  I thought all Magnavox's with the 4 6V6's had the separate 6V6 for treble.  At one point, a while back, we had a discussion on my Provincial Serenade. The unit looked just the like one in this thread.  Speakers looked the same, even the amp.  Mine had the single 6V6 for treble and the 4 6V6's for the two woofers.  Must be the Provincial Serenade was a step up the Magnavox chain.   :)

Thanks,  Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »
So what year is your Serenade?  Mine seems to be a 1956. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 07:40:13 PM »
Oops, my inquiry was directed to Bill, who has a Serenade with a separate output for the horn.

Chris Campbell