Author Topic: Greetings from Chicago  (Read 614 times)

laurie1

• View Profile
Greetings from Chicago
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Hello everyone!  I am a fresh newbie who just yesterday acquired a Magnavox Imperial Micromatic console.  I am looking forward to learning as much about it as possible and am so excited to join a much larger community that I imagined! 

Posted a few pics.  Seller told me it just needs a new needle.  Have no idea how to get one or to install it.  I'll check other boards for that :)
Laurie
Military wife and mom

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Chicago
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
Welcome! I am originally from Chicago! The home of Zenith. 😁 Go Bears!
Charles
USAF Veteran

laurie1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »
Yes those Bears!  An awesome start to the Packers game and then....well we won't talk about.

By the way Charles, I saw your signature (USAF).  My oldest son is stationed at Whiteman AFB and is an avionics maintainer on the B-2.
Laurie
Military wife and mom

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Laurie.

You have a 1963 Astro-Sonic solid state Magnavox stereo.  30 watt stereo amplifier.  "Imperial Micromatic" is nomenclature for the changer.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

laurie1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
Thank you electra255! 
Laurie
Military wife and mom

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
My older brother was stationed at Whiteman AFB in the early '70s.
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
Welcome, from the west coast of Michigan.

Please take advantage of all the site has to offer.  Enjoy!

Bill

laurie1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »
Thanks Bill!
Laurie
Military wife and mom

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »
I couldn't find this unit in the 1963 brochure...
Charles
USAF Veteran

laurie1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Perhaps a “mystery “ Maggie??
Laurie
Military wife and mom

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
I couldn't find this unit in the 1963 brochure...

Try page 7 of the 1963 Magnavox product catalog.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:22 PM »
Perhaps a “mystery “ Maggie??

No ma'am.  This is an Astro-Sonic solid state stereo housed in the old tube "little" Imperial cabinet.  Magnavox did that frequently in 1963.  In fact, they built tube instruments and solid state instruments that used the same cabinet.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
I assumed that a 1-ST672A was not the same as a 3-ST672.  They must be the same, but why the different model numbers?
Charles
USAF Veteran

laurie1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
You pose an interesting question Charles!  I am curious to that myself.  Anxious to hear other's thoughts......
Laurie
Military wife and mom

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 11:07:18 AM »
The first number in the model number generally refers to the "run" of the cabinet.  "Run 1" generally refers to the first production of a model.  So, "Run 3" would have been the third production of a model.  The "little" Imperial that was housed in that cabinet was model 662.  1963 was an interesting/ confusing year for Magnavox production.  They were phasing out the tube models and were introducing the Astro-Sonic solid state models.  Magnavox used the S-600 series changers found in the tube models in the Astro-Sonic models as well.  As I said before, they also produced tube models and solid state models in the same or extremely similar cabinets.  I have a 2ST653 stereo from 1963.  It is tube, but it had a solid state counterpart.  Magnavox was well-known for mixing and matching components in ways that were basically undocumented.  And Magnavox was well-known for making the documentation of their products particularly difficult.  We need to remember that Magnavox was sold in furniture and music stores, rather than the typical dealer network employed by other manufacturers.  Their products tended to sit on the floor of a furniture store and may not have been sold during its current year of manufacture.  Therefore, Magnavox instruments were sold by model series, rather than by specific year designations.  My little 2ST253 that I referred to should have been in the middle of Symphony production, but it's not.  Magnavox changed their series numbers in 1963.  Concert Grand, Imperial, "little" Imperial and Symphony were all gone after 1962.  I hope this helps more than confuses.   :-[

I would also suggest that you refer to the "Downloads" section at the top of this page.  Scroll down to "Magnificent Magnavox" and then click on catalogs for the 1961, 1962 and 1963 model years.  You can then compare offerings for those years and see the lineage of the different models, and how they were mixed and matched throughout that time.  That might give more clarity on your instrument.