Author Topic: Re: Question  (Read 51 times)

Mel Layrisson

• View Profile
Re: Question
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:56:25 PM »
What does RIAA and FFRR mean on my Magnavox Serenade?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »
All LPs have been recorded with equalization.  It cuts the bass and boosts the treble in recording.  In playback, the opposite is done--treble cut, bass boosted.  This allows the stylus to track the groove better, because without it the bass notes would swing the stylus wildly and it would hop out of the groove.  Treble cut also cuts other noise.

In the early days, there were several competing  equalization curves (how much they boosted/cut, and at what frequencies).  RIAA is the one that won out. FFRR was London (Decca in England).  Columbia had another, which is why early Columbia LPs sound so dowdy on newer equipment.  There were others.  I can't remember when RIAA became the standard but Wikipedia would tell us.

Chris Campbell

Mel Layrisson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 10:13:44 PM »
Thanks a lot just got my Magnavox up and running so I
Needed to know.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:09:06 AM »
  All the years Magnavox made phonographs, only a few models had selectable playback curves and only for a year or two. I guess the older ones equalized to Columbia LP curve and later switched over to RIAA. The differences were subtle, at least to my untrained ear, and a slight tone control readjustment would have more effect on the tone than switching curves. They always claimed different record labels did their own thing anyway depending on the tastes of the recording engineer.
         As usual the RCA curve won out because their "New Orthophonic" curve for LPs was chosen as the RIAA standard. CBS was probably getting an inferiority complex by now as their color TV standard was dumped for the RCA standard after it had already been accepted and receivers were being manufactured. They invented the LP standard when RCA was pushing their 45 RPMs trying to prevent the LPs from catching on.  Sarnoff must have been studied by Bill Gates for Machiovellian traits.