Author Topic: 1958 Concert Grand With Companion Speaker, Springfield Oregon  (Read 119 times)

danrclem

• View Profile
1958 Concert Grand With Companion Speaker, Springfield Oregon
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
Looks like a good deal to me but just on the wrong side of the country.  Is the one woofer in the main cabinet original?  I suspect that it is and it is Magnavox made in 1958 but I haven't ever saw a Magnavox speaker like that before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Magnificent-Magnavox-Concert-Grand-with-Matching-Companion-Speaker/163248503809?hash=item26025e7c01:g:6DcAAOSwglBbQrGP

Bill

• View Profile
Re: 1958 Concert Grand With Companion Speaker, Springfield Oregon
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:59:01 AM »
That looks very nice.  Like you, I'm on the other side of the world and I would not like the shipping bill.  :)

I'm not sure why, but Magnavox used different woofers in there bigger models.  Maybe someone else has the answer.  In the companion speaker cabinet I think there is a horn missing? 

Bill

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »
good eye.  The companion certainly has a place for another horn.  Maybe one of the CG experts will chime in on that.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
The description stated that the horn for the console had a "blown" diaphragm.  The horn from the external speaker was robbed and put into the console.  These early stereos are confusing to me, but my guess is the "external" speaker is actually the speaker for one of the stereo channels.  It looks to me like there are two amplifiers, but only one set of speakers in the console cabinet.  The description also mentions a missing sliding glass lid.  There are better examples in existence than this one.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
Especially for $900!
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »
I guess I should have read the description.  I just looked at the pictures.  ::)

Weren't the early Concerts Grands all self contained.  Meaning, two woofers close together, and two horns, one by the woofers, and the other up higher, above the upper amp?  It seem like I have seen photos like that.  This one makes me wonder if one amp powered all speakers in the console, and the other amp in the console powered the companion speaker.  I know that's what Greg just said, but it is kind of confusing with eight speakers, four of which are 15" woofers. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
This must have been one of those transitional models, when Magnavox was finding ways to use up the old equipment as they introduced new models.  Stereo was new, and separation was the big thing (like the ping-pong demonstration records, or the dual-mono recording technique--guitar in one speaker, singer in the other). 

Did Magnavox ever build custom units to order?  This could have been such a unit--a standard Concert Grand with all the electronics (a half-gazillion tubes) in the big box, but half the speakers in the separate one, just to satisfy a customer.

Chris Campbell

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »
I didn't read the description either.  Is it set up to be stereo with the speakers that close and if you order the companion speaker you're able to make the companion one channel and the main cabinet the other.  The amps are not the same as the later models. 

Here's one that appears to have the same layout.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=168536&start=80

This one has the same drivers.  It refers to this one as a 1957 Pre-Concert Grande.  Three different pages.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;image=8512

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
The amps in the Concert Grand on this thread are the 150 amps.  They are the same as my 1956 Berkshire, at least in appearance. 

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
A grand and a half for $900!  Good looking!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke