Author Topic: RCA VCR45 page 2  (Read 363 times)

Bill

• View Profile
RCA VCR45 page 2
« on: October 04, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »
Here's the last two photos.

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: RCA VCR45 page 2
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 04:07:48 PM »
Bill,  What a great amp! Never serviced! Drooling over these pictures, I can't wait to work on my RCA's.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »
What;s the tube complement on that amp?  Lots of sockets, and either bunch of transformer or some transformers and chokes.  Is this a biamp model?

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »
Dave,

All three chassis are untouched.  All RCA tubes and I presume they are the originals.  I did very little cleaning to the chassis, they had just a light coating of dust.  I don't think this unit was used much.  Now I need to find the service info so I can see what makes it tick.  Some how the optional reverb unit played through the amp and control chassis.  There is a wire coming from the control chassis marked reverb and a socket on the amp marked reverb.   ???

Chris,

This is a three channel stereo.  There are six 6BQ5 tubes in PP. Two for right, two for left, and two for center.  There are six 6CG7s in the preamp stage.  Four in the amp, and two in the control chassis.  Eight tubes in the tuner.  15" woofer for the center/bass channel.  The side speakers have each, one 6X9 midrange, one 4" tweeter.  Being a three channel stereo I presume three of the transformers are for speakers.  I'm not sure what the fourth is for, but I'm guessing it's like you said, choke.  Service info should tell the story.  Like I mentioned somewhere along the line, this unit is down the line for restoration.  I have
several that I need to finish/work on first. Unless of course I can't stand it and really need to see and hear how this will sound.   ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:29:51 AM »
I was not aware that RCA ever built anything like that.  Wonder if they used 1000 volt coupling caps in the audio like were in some RCA radios? 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
The few caps I could read, as most are facing in the wrong direction ;),  were in the 400 volt range.  As a very wise person once told me...never start a project without the proper service info.  I still need that and that will tell all.  :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »
I saw somewhere (?) that you listed the model numbers for the various chassis.  That information seems to have escaped me.  Could you post that information here again, to refresh my fading memory?     :-[

If the diagrams are in Riders or Beitmans, I might have them. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Greg,

Because I'm old and forgetful, I forgot to include that info in the first two threads, pages 1 and 2, it's found in the last post which is page number 3. 

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 11:05:49 PM »
Got it.  Thank you.