Author Topic: Zenith LPS-80 and Some Other Stuff  (Read 316 times)

AC207

• View Profile
Zenith LPS-80 and Some Other Stuff
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:59:07 PM »
The kind people that gave me my Magnavox Imperial also had an early 60's stereo phonograph.  I couldn't recall what it was from my visit in February but in my mind I was hoping it was either a Motorola 3 Channel unit or a Maggie.  As it turns out, it is a Zenith LPS80 with tube amp and five speakers.  So, while not was I was wishing for it appears to be complete and a good project for a novice like me.  The plan is to pull it apart and recap the amp and clean and detail everything as much as possible... it's been sitting for at least 30 years.  I'll use that upstairs until I can get my obtain a Motorola or Maggie.

They also gave me a couple of old Webcor reel to reel player/ recorders with tube amps.  I know nothing about those and no idea where to even start but I couldn't bear the idea of them landing in a trash pile.  Oh, and a boatload of old records, some 33 but a fair amount of 78's... again, no idea what I'll end up doing with these.
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

AC207

• View Profile
Re: Zenith LPS-80 and Some Other Stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
Additional Pics of Webcor reel to reel.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:58:09 PM »
Hey, what a haul!  It's always nice when people decide to pass on stuff to others whom they think will appreciate them.  The old R to R machines will probably need idler wheel/drive wheel replacements as well as the standard electronics replacements.  Webcor was a big name in early home tape recording.

Chris Campbell

AC207

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
Thanks, Chris.  I'll likely need to wait a bit before digging into the reel to reel players. However, I did start taking apart the Zenith in an attempt to at least start cleaning and was able to find out the the turntable is a Voice of Music model.  The previous owner did plug it in and while it did power up and make noise the changer will definitely need cleaning and lubrication at very least. 

Here are a few more photos of the modest innards:

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 02:16:19 AM »
          I had one of those Webcor machines and the instruction manual with schematic. It is completely unique in every way, like no other recorder. For starters.....push-pull triode power audio amp with a 6SN7 dual triode. 6SL7 audio driver/phase inverter. Negative feedback from a separate winding on output transformer back to 6SN7 cathodes.  Records and plays in either direction of tape travel. Two separate heads, each one containing erase head and record play head in one unit, one for each direction. A multi poled switch switches between the left-to-right and right-to left heads. You can record and play half track in both directions of tape travel without switching the reels from one side to the other.  Built in dynamic mike preamp circuit that can be switched to a magnetic phono cartridge equalized pre-amp. the 1-2-3-4 selector switches the amp to be a PA amplifier driving an external speaker jack and three other variations in input-output connections. The owners manual talks about the fun to be had recording people secretly. I hope you locate one   

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 02:52:37 AM »
  Playback equalization curve changes with tape speed selection.  Isolated 600 ohm audio output winding from audio transformer. Magic eye tube to set record  level. Direction changing solenoid activated by metal strip on the end of the reel of tape for automatic direction change. At least six tubes in the amp chassis. This is  just what I remember, there's more. If it makes things more complicated, it was included in this machine. It's built like a tank. I hope you find the owners manual because    I don't remember ever seeing a SAMS Photofact.  My manual didn't make the move to the new house.