Author Topic: Zenith Belt Drive  (Read 206 times)

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Zenith Belt Drive
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
I recently acquired a 1968 Zenith YT960 console. The tuner, record changer and reel to reel all need servicing. When trying to remove the platter from the turntable, the 45RPM adapter is not closing all the way. It seems to me that the top of the center spindle may be bent. I understand that these are made of unobtanium. I have decided to leave it alone until I get some guidance. Should I try to bend it back, or will it likely break? I will add a picture after I get home from work.
Charles
USAF Veteran

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
Re: Zenith Belt Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
The top part of the spindle does have a slight slant towards the support arm base.  If you lift up the clamshell adaptor and it is centered in the hole on top, I don't think you have a problem.  To get the platter off you do have to lift the clamshell into the "45" position and then pull up on the platter.  There are three rubber grommets that after time get like glue and hold the platter to the subplatter assembly.  When you pull the platter off, the 45 adaptor stays with the sub platter, you can see where the platter will lift up around the assembly.  I'm hoping the spindle isn't bent, these are quite nice changers.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
After taking these photos, I have to believe that it is bent.
Charles
USAF Veteran

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 09:15:20 PM »
Chazglenn3, I have to agree, the thing is bent, but the big question is can it be straightened without the metal fatiguing and breaking.  That one is newer than mine as it has the low mass tone arm and one of the best they ever offered.  Do you want to have me take a picture of mine with the 45 rpm adapter up?  Basically, the top of the spindle should be centered in the hole of the adapter.  That's a bummer.

Steve

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »
Thanks, Steve.  Yeah, it is a bummer.  The people that I got it from had the record player compartment full of junk. That's probably how it got bent. I'm really kicking myself for not buying that turntable on eBay now. I'll have to try to straighten it just to get the platter off I guess.
Charles
USAF Veteran

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:21:49 PM »
You should still be able to loosen the platter from the sub-platter as it is now.  The only thing is you won't be able to pull the cast aluminum platter up off the turntable.  The clam shell halves have to contact each other to give you enough clearance when pulling it off.
It might take the bend back if it wasn't bent too far over in the first place.  A piece of small pipe over the top part of the spindle may give you enough control to slowly bend it back.  I wish you lick with it (crossing fingers).

Steve