Author Topic: Zenith YT960  (Read 349 times)

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Zenith YT960
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
So, I'm looking over my latest acquisition and realized there are no tape inputs on the back of the cabinet. The reel to reel cables appear to be hard wired to the tuner chassis. Did these just not have the option to add additional tape input to them?

Charles
Charles
USAF Veteran

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
Re: Zenith YT960
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »
I'm surprised nobody answered this question.  You have the top of the line Zenith with the open reel tape deck.  At that time there were no CD's, iPods, or any other streaming devices to contend with.  Your stereo had "everything" you could want.  My how things have changed, haven't they? 

I would think that from the tuner chassis to the tape deck you could place a switch to allow you to select one of several devices to be used with the "tape" input.  I remember there used to be multiple input switches that were used for this purpose, several sets of RCA connector "inputs" and one set of RCA "output" connectors, I even had one myself at one time.

I read in another thread that you picked up a console for the pilot light jewel.  Now that is determination to get what you wanted.  It put a smile on my face to know you want everything "just right" with all of your prized consoles.  Did you get the replacement belt drive changer installed into this one?  I remember you mentioning you bought the insides of another console and tossed the cabinet to get the changer. 

I'm happy everything is working out.
 :D
Steve

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
Hi Steve;

Yes, I'm a stickler for things being the way they are supposed to be. I did get the replacement turntable installed and it works great! I bought a new stylus and it sounds wonderful. I have removed the tape deck but haven't gotten it to the repair guy yet. I do have one of the multi input selector switches that you mention. But, since I like things original, I'm not sure that I'll use it.
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
You can always hide things. Put the switch around behind.  Make the installation reversible so you can remove it if necessary to preserve authenticity in the future.  My 1948 jukebox has its volume control behind the device.  It's not hard to reach around.  My parents' first TV, a 1953 Zenith console, originally had an aftermarket antenna selector screwed to the back.  The available stations were in different directions and the rooftop antenna mast had two devices on it.  Still have the TV.

Chris Campbell

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »
Very true, Chris. It would easily mount on the back of the cabinet and not require modification of the wiring. I'll hook it up just so the option is there if I decide to connect my phone or an iPod one day.
Charles
USAF Veteran