Author Topic: 1961 Ebony TV console missing the TV  (Read 76 times)

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
1961 Ebony TV console missing the TV
« on: November 01, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
This looks nice otherwise.  Would it be a reasonable assumption to think that other same size Magnavox screens from the period would fit and be a good replacement? Its a 3MV-415/416 not sure if this one has the remote.  It's tempting but would be quite a project AND I'd probably wait a while to find the missing TV for it....
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: 1961 Ebony TV console missing the TV
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »
How about buying a modern flat-screen TV that will fit, one with audio out options, and using that until you can find just the right historical innards?  And you might get hooked on the modern video with stereo sound and modern remote....

I've always admired those Asian-styled units.  They're simple and restrained.

Chris Campbell

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 08:39:59 PM »
Well, that could work too.  I might see if she can send me some pictures of the inside to see what is left.  She says it still played records but the tv was gone, so I am curious to know how much got removed.  I thought I read that the record player amp and tuner got power through the tv amp chassis so maybe most of the hardware is still present.... who knows. This one is about 3-4 hours away, so we'll see how enthusiastic I'll get :)  It is really cool though and I am going to get an Ebony Astro-Sonic tomorrow...
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »
Dennis,

If you have not done so, read the thread under "Wanted" from Electra 225 (Greg). He searched a long time for a Magnavox Stereo Theater.  Finally finding one, he has written his experience working on his restoration.  The stereo part is done and now he is working on the TV part.  It would be interesting to see what's under the control side door.

Bill