Author Topic: Newbie in Utah  (Read 106 times)

5thHorseman

• View Profile
Newbie in Utah
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
Iíve always felt some natural pull to Jazz. I think itís the freedom to improvise that I look for in other parts of life that resonates within me. I took a Jazz history class in college and loved it. I recently decided to collect what I can on vinyl, so I routinely scour the bargain bins at record stores and thrift stores for forgotten gems. I joined this site to get the wisdom of the audiophiles regarding my newest acquisition: a Magnavox 1MR422. I inherited it and Iíve been trying to figure out what to do next. Any suggestions are welcome. Iíll post more in the appropriate place.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Newbie in Utah
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
The standard advice is to replace the filter capacitors in the power supply because when they fail--and their old and failure-prone by now--they take expensive things with them.  I'm guessing that yours is a transistor device, not tubes.  Some other capacitors, electrolytics, may need replacement too for top performance.  And the record changer likely would need some old lubricants cleaned out and new installed. But that's more a matter of function, not survival of expensive parts. 

The other advice is to listen to lots of music, all the time.  My theory is that music and the bicycle are the good things that we humans have done for ourselves.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Oops--"They are old and failure prone" is what I meant to say.  Fingers got in the way.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
You have the ultimate Stereo Theater, top of the line, circa 1961.  27" TV set, 93 series amp, the whole shot.  I'm restoring one and you can see what I have done in the thread I started in the Magnavox board on this site.  You should have considerable electronic experience in order to properly service one.  There is lots of parts in that cabinet.  They called them Magnificent Magnavox for a reason.  Welcome to the forum and good luck.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Your new toy is beautiful, looks brand new.  Electra 225 had been looking for a Stereo Theater for years and finally found one.  His thread starts under "Wanted" in the forum and continues under "Magnavox".  I would recommend you read it all.  Have you plugged it in, and turned it on?  Be careful, if you hear a hum, unplug it and don't go any farther until it's gone through.  Once restored it will bring you many years of enjoyment.  Jazz with sound great.

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
Welcome to the site from the soggy East coast. What a great console you have to start out with. If you enjoy playing records, this is one of the greatest machines of the Madmen era.  ;)

The amp, tuner and tv may all have service data in different locations but the downloads site has a 93-series amp schematic that is a Magnavox original, a tad better than a Sams Photofact.

Make sure that when you disconnect plugs and wires, label them using cable markers or tags. Brady is one company that makes them. I work on a lot of brands that begin with M with loaded options, and they are a spaghetti fest when you go to remove and restore any subassembly.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »
Label everything.  Take DETAILED pictures.  Trust nothing to memory.  Upsize the schematic, then using a yellow marker, follow the schematic with the yellow marker to be sure you don't overlook anything.  Make charts with notes of what you did.  Pay attention to detail.  Remember, it will need one of everything if you are going to use it regularly.  Amazingly, a Stereo Theater is not terribly complex, there is just a lot of "stuff" crammed into that cabinet.  All it would take is one seemingly insignificant mistake to send the whole thing to the curb.  I call that "Gloriously Complicated."  They are works of art, the best there was in their day.  Mine is a 418, yours is a 422.  Mine is top of the line.  Yours is the ultimate top of the line.  The most expensive Stereo Theater Magnavox built.  Take REALLY good care of the picture tube.  The 27ZP4 is the biggest picture tube they used in ST's.  They don't fall off trees if you break yours.  Work on one component at a time and make sure it works properly before you move on to the next one.  That way, if you have a problem, it will be easier to run to ground.

I figure it will take me three years to go through mine like I'd like.  Your cabinet is nice, which is a huge plus.  Mine is nice, but it needs refinished.  I would not plug that thing in until I went thru each component and replaced every electrolytic cap I could find.  I would leave the TV and remote chassis for last, after the amp, tuner and MPX were sorted.
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.