Author Topic: Are Bozak b209 speakers really good for tube ampage?  (Read 84 times)

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
Are Bozak b209 speakers really good for tube ampage?
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:34:00 PM »
Are Bozak 209b speakers something worth picking up? There are a pair near me for $100
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Are Bozak b209 speakers really good for tube ampage?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
In my opinion, and my opinion only....grab them!!!  I had a pair of Bozak 302's and let them go, been sorry ever since.  :(

Bill

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »
I can't attest to that model but I got a set of 301s for about the same price and really like them with my fisher 500b...  I think bozak is is underrated for some reason...  Rudy was quite an artist.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
Just remember that there are lots of good speakers, ones that are well designed and have good specs.  But speakers are more personal than some other components.  We all have our preferences.  It's usually best to have a listen, and with music that you know and enjoy. Maybe you'll be listening n the wrong amp or with the wring turntable/CD player/preamp, but at least you'll have some notion of how they sound.

And if you really can't have a test run, then buy them if the price is right on the theory that if they don't fit your needs, you can break even on resale.

Chris Campbell

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
Here is a pic of what the guy has listed.   They are about 2 hours from me, I sent him a text but no reply yet.

Very good points Chris, very true.  Thanks,
Dennis H

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Update, he still has em.... :o
Dennis H

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »
Yeah, the guy said the cabinets are  custom, you guys probably already figured that out I suspect.  He's saying they have Bozak speakers in them, at least the B209's are a part of that.  Looks like the 209s are the mid range, the big ones must be the B199's.  Not sure what else is or should be in there.  I may talk to him some more, but they may just be parts and nothing more.  I bet they would spruce of a console though lol
Dennis H

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
Look at some of the incredible pieces bozak made.  The concert grands need a room of their own.  His midrange design was unique and quite pleasant...

Overall, I wouldn't look at a 2-way setup of any speaker.  I'd look for dedicated high, mid and low range.  Of course, anything you get should be recapped or checked.

I'm very happy with my 301 tempos.  Not only are they 3 way but a manageable size and adjustable crossover.

At that price, you've really nothing to lose.  A set or AR3 would be 10x the price.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:50:40 AM »
Bozak speakers have a unique sound.  From everything I have read, they were ahead of there time. Mine reproduced Jazz and Pipe Organ like I never heard.  I am sorry I sold them.  By the way, I sold mine for a lot of $$$.  $100.00 is very reasonable, even for just the speakers.  And like Walyfd stated, they will probably need recapped.  Mine did.  Part of Bozak's sound comes from there crossover. 

Bill

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 02:35:11 PM »
Thanks guys.  If I go after them I will make sure The crossover is present which is not a given considering the custom boxes.
Dennis H

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 06:41:58 PM »
By the way, back to the original subject line...  I'm no expert on Bozak history, but just judging by those enclosures, the speakers must have been from the tube era.  Speakers produced in the tube era expect to see an output transformer, and at this level, P-P tubes and negative feedback behind that. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
Bozak started around 1951. Through his working career he worked for many companies, but eventually started his own speaker company. There is a very interesting short read in Wikipedia that will give you a brief history of Rudy Bozak. 

Yes Chris, Bozak started during the tube era, but continued into the solid state era as well. His speakers work very well with SS.

The system in my Avatar, was my Bozak B-302A speakers.  The center cabinet contained, two McIntosh MC30 amps, matching preamp and tuner.  Also, if memory serves, was a Garrard model 88 changer.  I regret every day that I sold it all.  Bill, making a dumb mistake!  :(

Bill