Author Topic: RCA Victor 1968? - PA  (Read 76 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
RCA Victor 1968? - PA
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
This is pretty local for me, and after I saw the phonograph picture, I realized it is a more expensive model. https://lancaster.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-console-stereo/6733298878.html

It would be nice to get some Victrola Brochures in Downloads so we can look these up. The style is not unlike a VLT-51W I have already but the receiver and changer are different.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
Re: RCA Victor 1968? - PA
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:43 PM »
I like it Dave, it is definitely an aircraft carrier!
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
I'm thinking 1969-70, and it is a deluxe model.  The speed strobe control on the left part of the changer gives that away.  Only the deluxe RCA's got that.  It kind of looks like the RCA Finlandia, which was high. 

Bill

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
The penny on the tonearm though...
Charles
USAF Veteran

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:31:37 PM »
    An unusual turntable. Besides the strobe window and speed adjust knob  that you pointed out, the tone arm horizontal pivot is way behind its vertical pivot--maybe an inch. I've seen some with the horiz pivot way in front of the vertical pivot but not behind it like this one. And the tubular tone arm metal connects to the head shell way off center----just a styling touch ?? 

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »
It looks close to the changer on a portable Victrola I just restored for a friend, without the strobe window and a more standard RCA tonearm.

I plan to pick it up later today, so I decided to part out this VLT51 http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,1423.0.html because the cabinet is missing its lid and is in rough shape overall. Both this and that are a similar "Finlandia-inspired" cabinet but VLT-51 is mid-priced.

I also will donate a 1969 Magnavox astrosonic 30 (Hancock model 3622) I restored to Habitat Restore, who is just not getting many consoles this year. They were excited when I told them I was bringing it over before I pick up the RCA:)

Most RCA's of this vintage have a more standard 20-30 watt chassis and their usual controls. I wanted one of the more expensive solid state RCA consoles anyway. The penny IS a nice touch Ed!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:41:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure RCA made their own changers back in the day, not sure about this era.  Does anyone know for sure.  I know my RCA Stereo Theater has this changer with a slightly different look on the tone arm head. 

Bill

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »
It looks close to the changer on a portable Victrola I just restored for a friend, without the strobe window and a more standard RCA tonearm.
Hi Dave,
RCA made changer. Here's a photo of the probable Sams folder with it.
When you remove it, let me know if it matches, and I'll send it.
HFF