Author Topic: OK so it seems there are two consoles in the country. This one is a Magnavox.  (Read 27151 times)

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
Wow, I  am amazed that it was still available after this long. Congratulations! Looking forward to the photos.

It's been for sale since 2017. Not really a market for these kinds of things here. I actually bought it a month ago on that secondhand site but the owner never got back to me. Finally I started googling his name and city and figured out he's a physics professor at the university down there so I contacted the university who got a message to him. :) He had forgotten all about ever having listed it online.  ::)

The console was in a spectacular old town house in a tiny, nearly-abandoned village near Alicante. It belonged to the guy's great-grandparents, and when the last one died in 1966 the family just closed up the house and left everything as it was. The place was full of gorgeous midcentury furniture. I really wish I had been able to snoop around and get some photos but they shooed me out of there as fast as possible.

The finish was perfect, having been protected by many, many, many layers of wax. It still has its shine. Anyway it's wrapped in a blanket in the back of a van somewhere in Andalucia with my better half who stayed to visit some family down there this week. It'll be driving back to Barcelona this weekend and I can hardly wait.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Great catch, and in a very unusual way but persistence pays off. The only difference between a 100 and 200 series tuner is the 200 has six knobs and looks very different, plus it has an extra RF amp stage on FM and also on AM. 

I assume you live in an area where fringe reception of AM (daytime) and FM is not as important as say, the rural midwest or new england
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
Congrats, it finally did follow you home.  ;) :)  I can hardly wait for you to get the back off and take some photos.  I want to see if it's like mine for speakers and amp.  Once restored, I think you will really enjoy it.

Bill

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
It's heeeeerrrreeee!

As predicted it's a 3ST657 in Walnut. Cabinet nearly impeccable. Series 100 tuner with the 3-tube MPX adapter. 9300 series amp with 5U4, 12AX7s, and 6BQ5s. 12" woofers and horns (I was so hoping for 15s but what am I gonna do). Signs of mouse activity but not serious, no wiring was damaged.

Brought it up on a variac and it fired right up. Dirty controls, and to be honest it sounded terrible, but that's to be expected with the leaky coupling caps etc.

I'm going to clean it up, recap the power amp, and clean and lube the turntable ASAP. I'll need a stylus for it also, as that seems to be missing. Any advice for ordering one from Europe? I'm also interested to see if it plays at the right speed with 50Hz power.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Congratulations! You may want to chat with Gary at www.thevoiceofmusic.com as he surely has the stylus. It is just a matter of if he ships internationally.
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
Look for a label showing what variety and voltage of AC it was built to run on.  If you're in the land of 50 cycle AC, I'll bet it was built for that, motor & all.

Chris Campbell

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
I've got the schematic for the amplifier, a 9304-20. Can anyone tell me how to find out what tuner/preamp I've got? I've got two numbers stamped on the chassis:

7909-10
43 42 82

Neither of these look like any of the tuner chassis listed in the downloads section. Should I be looking for something else?

Bill

• View Profile
Hey Alan!

Well, I think Magnavox was very confused during this era of their life.  My twin to yours, well almost, has exactly the same everything that yours has except I have the two tube MPX.  And, my woofers have large round magnets, where yours are square.  You have all three of your handles, and two of mine are broken.   :( :(    7909-10 is what you are looking for the tuner/preamp number.  I'm still looking for a copy of that schematic as well.   I admit I have not looked real hard, as I'm not ready to do the overhaul yet.  I'm sure it's out there somewhere.  :)

I too would suggest that you contact Gary at VM.  If nothing else he can advise what to look for.  He may even be willing to ship one.

Again, Congrats on being a "Mystery Magnavox" owner.  There are at least two of us in that club now.  ;) ;) :)

Bill

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
Thanks a lot Bill! I'm very excited.

I have a scan of the Sams for the 7909-10 tuner/preamp if you'd like a copy, just let me know.

OK last question for today...there is an AUX position on that selector switch. Any idea where the inputs are? Nowhere to be found on the back of the unit.

All the caps are ordered, they should be here soon. I'm thinking of doing a video of the restoration for the curious people out there - I'm on a console Facebook group and it's amazing the number of people who have or want consoles and don't know the first thing about working on them.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
The schematic for the 79-series tuner/preamplifier has been uploaded. I repaired mine three years ago and neglected to share this one. I just acquired another 1962, also with horns and 12"  square magnet woofers.

The three-tube multiplex adapter 70-01 was added previously and in the same directory, I replaced electrolytic caps (4mf coupling and 30mf on power supply leg), and four .02 mf ceramic disc aps with mylar caps.

Alan, you will find the aux or tape inputs on the tuner chassis. Magnavox also omitted the cable and RCA jacks of both my 1962 models (1ST622 and 1ST659) with these same chassis  ???

I look forward to your story with anticipation. I am too busy to fully enjoy mine yet.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
I have the 93 series amp with the 12" speakers in the Stereo Theater.  I was a taken aback slightly when I found it did not have 15" speakers like the Symphony.  I really don't believe the 12's perform worse than the 15's.  You'll be amazed at how good it sounds.  I'd recommend you replace the cathode bias resistor and the cathode bypass cap in the amp, plus check all the resistors, since they are known to drift high, particularly the 220K resistors in the grid circuits.  You can increase the capacity of the second filter cap to 47uf if you'd like.  Then get a set of JJ output tubes and a good Sylvania rectifier and you are set.  And.......don't forget to install a fuse in the primary of the PT.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AlanInSitges

• View Profile
Yup, already ordered new filters, coupling and bypass caps for the amp, the extra filters for the tuner, and while I was at it the .001 coupling caps for the preamp stage in the tuner as well. I'll be sure and check the value of pretty much all the resistors.

BTW, that input/phase inverter circuit is kind of a trip. I don't think I've ever seen a paraphase design in the flesh before; it seems like it would have been cheaper and easier to do one of the more contemporary ones.

electra225

• View Profile
Magnavox was Magnavox, and danced to their own fiddler.  They were the best there was when it came to audio.  In some of their stereos, they used some pretty cheap, garbage components.  They used Goodall coupling caps, which were only one step up from bumblebees.  The carbon resistors they used were not much better.  They used Sylvania, GE and RCA sourced tubes for the most part until 1961.  Then the 6V6's were typically from Hitachi and their 6BQ5's were from Mullard.  Check and double check the horrible and spendy 6EU7's for shorts.  Check tube sockets in the tuner, particularly audio tubes for poor connections.  Don't forget to clean the function switch and the external speaker switch.  Good luck.   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
Like Greg said Alan, be sure to install a fuse.  It saved my PT in my Berkshire.  You will have fun, and once done you will really enjoy your efforts. 

Bill

1988bluebird

• View Profile
I just wanted to bump this post up and let everyone know that this Maggy is mine! I just drove 12 hours over the weekend down to the south of Spain to pick it up. It's in the back of a van making its way back to Barcelona as we speak. I'll have all kinds of pictures and details to post once I get it unpacked and opened up.

Congrats! That's a good looking old Magnavox.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it  :)
My consoles:
1939 Zenith AM console 8S359
1949 RCA Victor AM/FM "dual phonograph" console 9W105
1958 RCA Victor New Orthophonic HI-FI phonograph console SHF-6
1950 Magnavox Wedgewood AM/FM phonograph console CR-216