Author Topic: Legs and Top Glass Panels for Danish Concert Grand  (Read 330 times)

magpie

• View Profile
Legs and Top Glass Panels for Danish Concert Grand
« on: November 19, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »
Hello, I'm expecting this post to sit out here for a bit, but I'm looking for clean legs and top glass for a ~1960 Magnavox Concert Grand in the danish modern cabinet, preferably in dark walnut finish, but I'm willing to refin if necessary. I know it's a long shot, but I'm just putting this out here in hopes that they may surface one day. Even if this post gets to be a few years old I'll probably still be looking for them...

DC

• View Profile
Re: Legs and Top Glass Panels for Danish Concert Grand
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
I have the legs from a Danish modern Imperial which is not quite as wide as a CG.  They measure about 48" x 17".  Could use some refinishing but are quite solid.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
You might be able to reproduce the sliding glass panels with some tempered glass.  Find someone who does woodgrain painting on old car dashboards to redo the wood graining on the lids.  Good luck.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
Reverse painting on glass is an art.  My question is how you make the pint adhere to the glass?  Special paint?  Frost the glass by sandblasting?

Tempered glass is fairly expensive.  It has to be cut to shape first, then sent out for tempering.  I needed some for a boat window, oval shape.  Very $$$$.  After seeing the price, I used laminated safety glass, and then that failed (the bronze frame was machined poorly and twisted it, which is why the tempered glass had failed too).  After that I used plastic (Lexan).

Chris Campbell