Author Topic: Maguire's Ultimate Black  (Read 163 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Maguire's Ultimate Black
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
I went to the parts store awhile back to get an oil filter for my Buick.  There was a Maguire's rep there, hawking their products.  I use a container of Ultimate Quick Detailer a month.  That stuff was $4.59 when I started using it in the 1980's and is now up to $8.29 unless I can get it on sale.  He had a product there on special.  Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer.  The stuff was made to restore the black to the cladding modern cars are plagued with.  I have used similar products in the past, and found that they generally did not work.  My Mini has "go cart bumpers" over the wheels, rocker panels, and some little pieces in other places.  Mine is not in horrible shape, but they never look nice. 

The deal with the Maguire's rep was that if I gave him $7.59 for a container of the stuff, I could get a Maguire's product of equal value for free.  I told the guy that if he would throw in a container of Ultimate Quick Detailer, we could do business.  He did and I paid the man and left.  I figured I had a container of Detailer whether the other stuff worked or not. 

Today, I cleaned up the Mini really well.  I put a coat of wax on it, Maguire's, of course.  I used the Ultimate Black on the go cart bumpers and was amazed.  The stuff really works.  It restored the black and made the cladding actually look luxurious.  I can recommend this stuff if you have a vehicle with black cladding on it.  Make sure the surface is clean.  Do not get it on the paint.  It won't hurt the paint, but it makes a smeary mess.  (Have your Quick Detailer handy!).  Do not use on leather or glass or anywhere a slick surface would cause a problem.  I'm guessing there is silicone in it.  It beads water.  I used it on the old Tahoe and it really helped it.  The cladding on it has light spots in it.  It looks like new now.  How long will it last?  I have no clue.  If I have to use it once a month, that will be fine with me.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Maguire's Ultimate Black
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »
My only new car ever was the 1980 Datsun.  At some point I was in the dealership and bought a can of stuff they made for the exterior black plastic.  It worked fairly well but not as well as the stuff you describe.  It's still out in the garage in my auto chemicals box.  Won't use it on the Chevy--everything that's used for trim is chrome (well, some bright shiny aluminum, but we can call it chrome).

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:45:07 AM »
The "bomb" for chrome, (not aluminum, not stainless, but chrome) is 0000 steel wool and Windex.  Makes it shine like a diamond in a mudhole!  For glass, use 0000 steel wool and Rain-X.  Keep steel wool far away from aluminum.  It works on stainless if you use the correct polish to contain the metal shards.  I use steel wool on electronic chassis, but I hear harsh words when I mention that, so I won't.   ;)

I use Maguire's products almost exclusively now that Dupont #7 is not readily available.  Maguire makes a cleaner, called Polish that I like using before I wax. 

It rained here yesterday morning.  One of our famous "6 inch" rains.  Six inches between drops.  The roads got just wet enough to slop up the sides of the car.  I wondered if the black would look nasty after it got wet.  It seems to have held up well.  I have typically received good service from Maguire products and this appears to be no different. 

I had not paid any attention to this previously, but it appears to me that very few people wax their cars anymore.  Mine was one of the few in Walmart's parking lot that was beading water when it rained.  Why would anyone give the big money new cars cost nowadays then not keep their car waxed?  I wax the Mini every 60 days.  I reckon if you lease a car, you don't worry about the paint lasting 20 years like I do.  I run a car from the assembly line to the junkyard, with, hopefully 300,000 miles between the two events.  I would rather own "paid for" than "new."

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
I polish and fully wax the daily driver at least twice a year.  It's gotten a lot easier as cars got smaller and lacquer has given way to base-clear...   that '90 academy gray brougham took 2 days to clean...

3M made a product called Finesse that was really nice.  This was back before 3M bought Maguires... 

Friend had an '83 Sedan Deville he got from his grandmother.  Totally original and had 16k on it but it looked dull.  All he did was wax it for over 20 years but never polished it.  Once he had that done, the car sparkled.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
I guess I'm part of the waxing club.  Everything gets waxed, including the garden tractor and the A/C condensing unit.  Is that too much?   ::)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:32:29 PM »
As I have got older, the days have got shorter.  There's not time to do everything.  As a kid, my cars were always waxed frequently.  Now, my old daily driver Ranger lives outdoors, and I last washed it > 1 year ago.  Why such neglect?  Well, time, but also, it has a clearcoat finish and it looks pretty good for almost 14 years old, even dirty.  The Mustang lives indoors and only goes out on summer weekends.  It was washed last fall and should have been this fall, but geez, there is so much to do. Maybe that's why people retire?? 

It's better than being bored....

And yeah, I recall searching for Dupont #7 when it disappeared from the shelves.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 05:29:14 PM »
I learned two things today.  One, that I am not the only one who waxes their AC unilt and, two, I have misspelled Maguires.  It is spelled M-E-G-U-I-A-R's.  I criticize people who are poor spellers.  I hereby fall on my sword.   :-[

I also thank those who have not already pointed my misspelling out!   :) ;) :-[

Finesse is a fantastic product.  It makes black paint sparkle.  I like to use it with a buffer.  Too much work anymore with old hands.  My buffing skills are not what they used to be.  That "Polish" Meguiar's product I mentioned is much like Finesse, only you can use it by hand. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
That's two A/C waxers.  Anyone else!  Anyone!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
The only A/C I've ever owned is the device in the truck (well, the Mustang had one but it died).  So if I ever get around to washing and waxing the truck, I suppose you could count me.  I do wax the sailboat that has its original gelcoat.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:37 PM »
AC units are expensive.  It sits outside where people can see it.  It is powder coated, not painted.  Powder coat turns white in the sun.  That makes the expensive AC unit look old.  I'm cheap.  The longer something looks new and I don't have to buy another one, the better I like it.  I have had people ask me why I was polishing my AC unit.  Because I already have the car done, and have wax left over.  I don't like to waste that, either.   :) ;) :-[

I also wax the lawn vacuum, push mowers, garden tractor, shop fans, tool box, garden tiller and my old Quincy air compressor.  I reckon I was in the restoration business too long.

I also have a fetish for not letting things set outside.  I have the garage full of junk, but I also make room for the car, truck, tractor, stuff like that.  I even put the blade for my tractor in the shed.  I have a path thru the "stuff", but nothing sets out.  I can't always find it, but it is in the garage somewhere.   ;)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 06:21:47 PM »
I also have a fetish for not letting things set outside.  I have the garage full of junk, but I also make room for the car, truck, tractor, stuff like that.  I even put the blade for my tractor in the shed.  I have a path thru the "stuff", but nothing sets out.  I can't always find it, but it is in the garage somewhere.   ;)

Well, in the garage I have the iceboat, the rowing shell, the sea kayak, three hi-fi consoles, the Mustang, shelves of radios, shelves of movie cameras, 6 bicycles, boxes of books, some hardwoods and miscellaneous project lumber, garden tools, two lawn mowers (one gas, one push reel) and my choice stuff (no, not "junk"--the other day I knew right where to go to find the original voltage regulator for the Chevy).  That's all before we get to the heated shop section.  But with all that valuable stuff, the poor Ranger doesn't have room.  And now we're way past waxing season, I fear, unless we have a warm spell and I can take a day off work.

Chris Campbell