Author Topic: Well its Christmas again...  (Read 96 times)

walyfd

• View Profile
Well its Christmas again...
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »
...and, of course, no other time of the year conure up time at some relative's house or our own with a stack of LPS and a console as big as a garage...

Every year, I try to find at least one off-beat or must-have tape or lp.  This year, I found a MINT  Boston Pops Christmas Party lp from 1959 and an Arthur Lyman Mele Kalikimaka.  So cool...  I've heard the Fiedler on cassette and cd but the lp is something special.  Never heard the Lyman until now and it's really a hoot.

Last year, I found the Bert Kampfert "Winter Wonderland" and it's a must-have.  Other singles like Julie London and even Pearl Bailey singing "Jingle Bell ChaCha" and "Solid Gold Cadillac" make it but nothing does it better than Eartha....

These little oddball records are worth the hunt.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Well its Christmas again...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:38:36 PM »
I have an Elvis tribute Christmas album done sometime in the 1980's.  Some of the original band members are on there, plus survivors of studio musicians prevalent when Elvis was recording.  The Jordanaires sing "O Holy Night" in four part harmony.  I don't believe I have ever heard that song done that way.  I have a recording of Bobby Vinton singing the song, and, of course Perry Como.

I have every Firestone Christmas album from 1964 to 1978.  Some of the material is pretty good, some not so good.  Gordon MacRae and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir are featured on almost every album.  I had an aunt who knew I liked records and got me a Firestone album every year for Christmas.

If I had a favorite Christmas album, a contender would be a Lawrence Welk album "Silent Night" I have on Dot Stereo, circa 1959. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
I remember and have some of the Firestone albums.  Didn't you get one with a set of snow tires?

National Cole is the absolute one must-have album and I'd say Vince Guaraldi a close second.  ANYTHING record from Radio City whether just t he organs or full Christmas show is great but never competes with the live performance.

It's all good and an annual opportunity to discover new and old artists.  I'm really impressed with Seth MacFarlane's album.  Watched the tree lighting from Rockefeller Center and was glad I had a mute button more than once...  had I been there in person, I'd have run to St Pat's...

I also heard today that "Baby Its Cold Outside" is being banned by some stations because of its undertone...  I'm not sure how to respond to that on a public forum...

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
I have a couple of Firestone Christmas albums that I enjoy.  I like the variety records, you get a little of everyone.  One Christmas album that I enjoy is Christmas with Kate Smith.  In my opinion, she really knows how to sing Christmas.  Here's an example if anyone is interested. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kdn9AhAmA

Kate Smiths signature song, Written by Irving Berlin, has this history:

A sweeping patriotic anthem, this song was written by Irving Berlin, who came to America at age 5 when his family immigrated from Siberia. The song reflects his love for his adopted country.

Irving Berlin wrote this in 1918 for the musical Yip, Yip, Yaphank while serving in the Army at Camp Upton near Yaphank, Long Island. After writing it, Berlin felt it didn't fit the tone of the musical, which was a comedy, and decided not to use it. In 1938, with war looming in Europe, Berlin updated the lyrics for the purpose of writing a "peace" song.

Berlin re-wrote this song for Kate Smith, who was looking for something patriotic to sing on her November 10, 1938 radio variety show, which took place on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I. She introduced it by saying, "I feel it's one of the most beautiful compositions ever written, a song that will never die."

Her performance got a tremendous response from listeners, leading to its release as a single. The song rose up the charts to #10 and sold lots of sheet music, becoming an alternate national anthem of sorts. It also became Smith's signature song.

For anyone who wants to watch the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zF7a0wB-Lg

I hope both of these work!   :)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

I also heard today that "Baby Its Cold Outside" is being banned by some stations because of its undertone...  I'm not sure how to respond to that on a public forum...

Censorship rarely works.  I just read the full John Lomax entry in Wikipedia.  He and his son Alan were the greatest collectors of American folk music.   John basically invented the project.  Eventually he had a project through the Library of Congress and amassed a huge collection of field recordings.  It came to an end in 1942 because acetate for recording discs was needed for the war effort, and because southern politicians feared that the music of untrained people would cause agitation.  (!!!). 

"Baby It's Cold Outside" is only "suggestive" if you know what is being suggested, in which case you already know what they fear you might learn.  Dumb, stupid, dim-witted, and ineffective, too.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:34:12 AM »
Certain members of our society take themselves too seriously.   ::)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.