Author Topic: Fisher in the Wild?  (Read 2134 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Fisher in the Wild?
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
All of a sudden tube consoles seem to be popping up here in upstate NY. No sooner had we made an appointment to see a VOM than an acquaintance told me about "an old Fisher" he knows about that may be available.  He's seen it but being he's not into this hobby, description is rather vague: recalled is that it was long and had a "crosshatch" thing in front of the speaker grilles on each side, and he saw a Garrard turntable.  On the Fisher console website the only ones like that are '62-64 "Ambassador" Italian Provincial models, don't know if any other Fishers have that style. Not much to go on, but hoping to find out more.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher in the Wild?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »
I have two 1964 models an Ambassador A-69 in FP style and a Custom Electra VII model E-49IP in Italian Provincial as you describe. I just got the A69 but the E49IP has been with me for 3 years and I re-capped it but have not yet powered up. It needs a full finish strip and re-finish of its "distressed" walnut.

One has the A-model Garrard and the other has the AT-60 Garrard. While the controls look similar that year, a big difference was the more expensive models (Ambassador and up) that year had solid state output transistors with tube drivers with all else tubes. The E49IP has the last amp (ch 481A) using PP EL84/6BQ5 output tubes.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 07:55:27 PM »
Just out of curiousity, where are you in NY?i lived in SW Vermont and pulled stuff from northern and southern "upstate" NY,for the past 4-5 yrs, but it was all low/low mid level stuff.
Been pretty dry for anything reasonably priced for a couple yrs IMHO.And by reasonably priced, i'm thinking $50 or less for an unrestored unit that
doesn't work, not the $100-$250 the idiots want these days.
Did find 2 Fishers but both were low end(for Fisher). Early 60's Electras, i think

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
I'm in the Southern Tier of NY just N of PA.
We lived in N Vermont for 10 years, still have a summer camp there, when we lived there full time I found some pretty amazing stuff, in the Adirondacks of all places! My 4 all time best finds were there: a Brook model 10 and model 12, from 2 different places in the ADKs, also a Fisher President VII in Lake Placid and a '63 Regent 5000 in Tupper Lake, both were all tube models with tape decks... wealthy folks from NYC vacationed there! Best thing I've found since we moved away was a Fisher Futura II about 5 yrs ago.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:25:56 PM by firedome »

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:26:06 PM »
Interesting.I lived in the greater Albany area for about a decade(now moved) and got into consoles about 5 years before moving. I found nothing really special in the AlbanyNY/VT/Western Ma area.I found a great Fisher custom console, with a 500c/tube r2r and Garrard but that was central NY(and i had to take the hutch and top hutch just to get the components....all in and on top of a Subaru wagon)
And i got 2 Concert Grands but one was from north of Worcester, the other south of Hartford.For some reason i had thought that because Saratoga was once a summer playground of the wealthy NYC folks that there would be higher end stuff, but no, found nothing in that area in 5+ years. No nice consoles, no nice old tube components....

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 05:20:24 PM »
Is there still a local ad print publication in your area? I've had real good luck placing a Wanted ad in those, old people who had this stuff from new don't always use a computer! That said, eBay has kind of ruined things, it's so much harder nowadays, that stuff I found that I mentioned was in the 2000 - 2005 era,  but stuff IS still out there!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
There's a continuing classified ad for stereo equipment in our daily newspaper, with an indication of partiality to silver-front equipment of the 1970s.  I suspect that f he keeps running it forever, he must be making lots of finds.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
I've had good luck with it, mostly 10+ yrs ago. However it never hurts, and a few big hits in the lottery are what keeps you coming back!

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »
I suppose in the era of the interwebs, i never gave the print paper a thought.It makes a lot of sense actually.There was obviosly stuff that changed hands i didn't see, and things that were at estate sales(which i never followed). And i did just fine, considering i would basically drive(for the right piece) from Vt., as far as Boston, Syracuse,Philly and Burlington VT.
Was just always curious where the really nice stuff in the direct upstate NY and western Ma area always went.....There had to be SOME higher end stuff out there

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
And there still is... I'm hoping this unknown model Fisher is one of them. Worst case it may be a hybrid unit, but even those can have some good Telefunken tubes, Fishers often do, in my experience, even "lowly" Electras.

The one "really" good local find I've had since moving from VT to here was found when I went to look at a free Magnavox console from CL. It was one of their smaller-ish 62-ish tube models with a cabinet that was totally beat, splitting and de-laminating veneer, after years of outdoor storage. I loaded it in the wagon to rescue the innards, I think it's the only cabinet I've ever broken up and trashed, no way it could be saved.  Then I asked him, like I always do, if he knew of anyone with tube stuff of ANY sort. He said he thought a friend did, and he gave them a call right then.

They did have some and said I could come over, about 10 minutes away, so we drove there, to a modest and not very well maintained small 1920s house. A 40-ish lady answered and said she had some stuff that her Dad (deceased) had. Well... it turned out to be a pair of McIntosh MC-60 amps, and a Fisher 202 amp he had been using as preamp for the Macs!

I had to contain myself, pretty hard to do. Of course McIntosh is based right here where I  live, so their stuff is around, still, I never expected to stumble into some this way, and what I usually see advertised here is very pricey!  I gave her a fair and decent price for them, I don't like to be a chiseler, and it looked like she could use the funds. But I knew their value and since I didn't have any real need for super high-end audio stuff, I'm fine with a console or 2 and  my little Scott amp in my home-made console, I sold the stuff off & still made a decent profit. The Mc 60 amps ended up in  Brazil!

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 06:49:26 PM »
You guys all realize this is how the collectable market starts, right?  I used to buy and sell Marantz high end units for $100-$300 all day long.  Then, they started getting absurdly priced at $3-$500.  It angered me so much I stopped buying them.  The NERVE of these people asking such outrageous prices.

I wish now I had bought every one that came along at those "stupidly high" prices. 

I once passed on a mint 2285B with case for $200.  It was just too high.   :-[

I'm just sayin' guys.....  I've never met a purchase I thought was high and bought it anyway that I've regretted later.  At least when it comes to the things that stir men's souls.
Professional Smoke Releaser

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
This is very true... but for me the hanging on part is the hard part, one always needs $ for something.  12-15 years ago I had a pr of Marantz 5 tube amps, a Marantz 2 tube amp (super rare),  2 Marantz 7c, 2 Marantz 8b amps, 2 McIntosh 225, pr of Mc60s, one Mc75, a MI-200, 2 Brook amps, and more, (not all at the same time!), but I thought prices were peaking and sold every bit of it off, at prices about 1/3 or less than today, because I didn't really need it, none of them really sounded any better (to me!) than a little Scott 222 integrated amp (we still have that, and only that!). Woulda, coulda, shoulda... I was pretty dumb to sell it off too soon. I've learned that as long as the economy is decent, it just keeps going up.  People will spend on their hobbies!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 11:52:36 AM »
A sure recipe for unhappiness is brooding on what you did wrong or what you should have done. It's OK to reflect on the past enough to learn from it, but otherwise the important thing to do is have fun now and look forward. 

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »
You are right! I don't really beat myself up over it because I had a lot of fun playing with the stuff at the time, some of which is rarely if ever available,  and benefited from quite decent profit when selling it in any event. I would have eventually made the decision to cash it in anyway. Most importantly came to learn that a good integrated amp, properly restored, can sound every bit as good, to me at least, while taking up a whole lot space. It's all good, no worries!

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:26 PM »
The only thing I regret is getting rid of the ones I now wish I had kept for personal listening.  It's funny how often I didn't realize how good a piece of equipment was until it's gone and everything else is just so-so.  It doesn't take long until you realize it was a mistake when you sold it. 

Another thing I've realized is people (the "experts", lets say) that speak so highly of some stuff and down talk other stuff, really don't have a clue sometimes.  Everyone high on nameplates and specs really miss out on some superb stuff when it comes down to it.  My EARS are the only thing I let do my decision making.  And sometimes the best performers is stuff that others have overlooked.  For a long time, I sung the praises of my little Sansui 5000x.  No one else wanted them.  THEN.... they caught on.  Now they have gotten quite the hot stuff as of late.  They aren't very pretty, but man can they sing!

My latest regret was a beautiful pair of little Dynaco A25's I sold.  I had recapped them when I first got them.  They just sounded so good at medium volume and the imaging was just stunning.  All out of a cheap pair of little two-ways.  I'll probably get another pair soon. 
Professional Smoke Releaser