Author Topic: Fisher in the Wild?  (Read 1194 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Re: Fisher in the Wild?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
Ya we have Hagerty insurance so we saw the big find of the original Bullitt in NC or TN or wherever it was for decades, just last year. Love how they are leaving it alone and not gonna "restore" it. They're even leaving the steel pieces welded under the rockers used to hold cameras for filming the chase scenes from road level. That car and the '70 Challenger from Vanishing Point are my favorites of all movie/TV cars!
The '08 Bullitt edition is pretty cool, as is the new '19 version, which would easily leave any of them in the dust. If I had a bigger garage I'd pick up an '08 in Dk. Highland Green 5 spd (they also came in black... kinda cliche imo) for sure. "Only" 315 hp compared to 480 in the new one, but that's more than enough for me!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
From Fishers to Fords?
OK. i'll bite.

Had a '67 Mustang coupe, in high school.....came with a 302, should have had the 289.I rebuilt, or should i say, overbuilt the 302, put in a 4 speed toploader,a posi rear and had a whole lot of fun with it.
Never liked any Mustang newer than 69 until maybe the last decade when they started to give them some character again.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »
I took a photo of the camera mounts too.  Here's the photo.  Look in the middle under the rocker panel-- a square tube, seen against the right front tire on the other side.  Then there's a pic of me with the Mustang, shot by an employee who saw me drooling.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
My wifes Ford Mustang... a Triple Black 66 Convertible that she purchased from the original owner for $4000 when she was in high school (circa 1978, we were dating at the time) it had just over 44,000 miles on it at that time. Presently 68k showing on the ODO.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:50 PM »
A buddy of mine that is an EMT for the movie biz owns one of the camera cars from Thelma & Loise, and that thing has crap welded all over it for mounting camera gear!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 12:03:10 AM »
My wifes Ford Mustang... a Triple Black 66 Convertible that she purchased from the original owner for $4000 when she was in high school (circa 1978, we were dating at the time) it had just over 44,000 miles on it at that time. Presently 68k showing on the ODO.

Whew, what a sweet car!  Did you marry her for the car?

My '86 has about 146K on it, added about 5K a summer.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »
Back to Fishers:  a local ad has a '67 Electra SS lower end-ish model, cabinet has had it's top and parts of the front painted black by someone (!!!) a kinda crappy looking BSR changer and a worn looking control panel. Decent enough in it's day, but today... not so much. One more probably eventually headed to you know where, sadly.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 07:43:17 PM »
Well it SHOULD have a DUAL 1010 in it so it's been messed with more than just cosmetically.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
I wonder, I've seen Executives of the same year for example that had either a Miracord or Garrard Type A, I wonder if they had multiple TT suppliers for certain models. I believe the Fisher in question has been in the same family all along, but the daughter that's selling it had some different ideas about decor than her parents! LOL

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »
   Does anyone know or has anyone seen brochures for custom console makers like Fisher or maybe Packard Bell that mention giving you options for the components they didn't make themselves, such as turntables, manual vs. automatic, or tape recorders, playback only or maybe 10.5 inch reels ? I think I remember reverb units, maybe phonograph only with no FM AM tuner. Even maybe a choice of phonograph cartridges.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
The only company I know of was a the speaker builder, Bozak.  They offered cabinets, that matched their speaker cabinets, that you could fill with your components of choice.  My Avatar shows what I had once upon a time.  I kick myself for selling it.  :(

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
Fisher and Scott were factory made and they had a line-up from affordable ($400-ish) to hyper-pricey! (like $2500) consoles in various styles, but all were catalog production items. Options were things like Ampex or Viking tape decks, but I think they may have used multiple suppliers (put out on bid?) for turntables, and possibly speaker drivers. I know VoM, RCA and others gave one the option of adding a "drop-in" tuner to amp and TT consoles, my own VoM 868 has the optional 1451 tuner.

McIntosh never made a factory console afaik.  Mc's were and are made here where we live and I hope to come across a custom one someday. Any McIntosh console would likely have used Barzilay, Ethan Allen, Gamber-Johnson, Rockford & other custom cabinets as shown in old Allied catalogs of the period.  We picked up an empty custom console set here some years ago that had originally had a Heathkit AA-151 amp in it (removed by owner and replaced by a SS Pioneer) and 2 free-standing matching speaker cabinets with University co-axial speakers, which  my cousin has presently. Lots of DIYers would build Heath, Eico &c components and put them into custom cabinets, our neighbor growing up in MD in the '50s had done just that as well: W-5 amps, matching WA preamps, Garrard Type A TT, speaker drivers I didn't know. He was a real DIYer, very common back then!