Author Topic: RCA victor 1VF507  (Read 379 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Re: RCA victor 1VF507
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
I'd seen Webcor changers and portable record players but hadn't been familiar at all with their consoles. It was amazing that 4 of the top 6 were Webcor, out of 35 consoles tested,
mainly because of the superiority of the changer. Many of the usual big names were included, Magnavox, Motorola, Fisher, Philco, Zenith, Columbia, GE, Stromberg, Admiral, Olympic, Symphonic, RCA.  They explained their test criteria well & they made sense to me at least. March 1960 issue, a lot of our favorite tube models are covered in the roughly 200-400$ range, where most of the market was at the time. A good many suffered from excessive current leakage, but not sure how much of a safety problem that really was for a typical user.

We had an 1958 RCA 2 pc stereo console that had those 3 pin plugs, and something to do with a unique way that RCA the cartridge and preamp-amp interfaced, iirc. Can't recall the specifics.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:45 AM »
I really disliked how a lot of the manufacturers used wide, clear plastic knobs.  Those always turned yellow and brittle over the years and just look awful these days.  I don't care how good they might have performed, I just can't get past one with this look.  I always pass. 
Professional Smoke Releaser

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 07:48:47 PM »
Put those yellowed plastic knobs in some denture cleaner, like Polydent.  This won't work for ones with metal trim.  Just the clear plastic ones.  You can also use toothpaste to clean them up.  Or soak them in a small bowl with dishwashing detergent in it.  Soak overnight then scrub them with a tooth brush.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 11:41:23 AM »
I have to agree the plastic knobs RCA used were especially awful in comparison to Motorola, which had mostly metal knobs in this golden era.
I have found some NOS replacements which are not yellow at all. ???
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave