Author Topic: vacuum record cleaner in a console??  (Read 380 times)

firedome

• View Profile
vacuum record cleaner in a console??
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
Here's something I'd never seen in all these years - a built-in vacuum record cleaner in a console! The "head" unit has a tube that goes down to a collection box, and presumably a motor that's in there as well, kind of ingenious, wonder how well it works. This GE is near me and I'd pick it up just for the novelty but their price is absurd.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

electra225

• View Profile
Re: vacuum record cleaner in a console??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
I have those guts in an ugly GE console I was given.  It is a good performer.  Transformer power supply, 7189 single-ended output and full-stereo FM tuner.  The changer is not original to this console.  The hoses are still there.  The changer is a VM 1200 series, almost indestructible.  That tone arm looks like a plow, but it tracks fairly lightly.  I'd grab it if you can get it for your price.  You'll be surprised with how good it sounds. 

The downside to GE stereo is the PCB chassis.  It is not very reliable after it has gotten baked.  The upside to that is that the chassis can be hard-wired with bell wire fairly easily. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »
At $600 I'm not sure there can be a meeting of the minds... or pocketbooks. If it were asking $100 I'd be on it. I'll watch it, sometimes after months of sitting unsold sellers sometimes suddenly get religion and become reasonable. This particular one is a standard 5' low console, but there's one similar to yours around here for sale too, however it's really trashed. Not sure if it has the vac, it didn't show in the pics.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
The vac is an option.  I'm not sure if it is available in everything GE made or not.  The one I pictured has one side out of the cabinet.  A runaway blade on the back of my tractor did the cabinet in.  Not much loss.  The tone arm in mine does not say "Vacu-Magic".  Maybe they did not all have that on them?  The pump was mounted above the amplifier.  I'm assuming someone wanted that system gone so replaced the changer.

Don't misunderstand my kind words about GE stereos.  They are not high quality instruments.  They are built with the most cheesy standards you can imagine.  The thing that amazes me is how good they sound compared to how they are built.  They are not Magnavox quality in any regard, but I find them fun to play with.  If you could get that one for less than $100, it might be well worth that.  Make the guy an offer.  The worst that can happen is he'll say no.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
I let him sit on it awhile then may make a sensible offer. GE quality or lack thereof is to be expected from a huge mega-company I guess, RCA was pretty lacking as time went on also.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
Unless I'm forgetting something, I have a total of $3 in all the GE stereos I own.  $600 for that one sounds a tad high to me.  Dangle $50 cash money in his face and see if that creates any reaction....... ;)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »
There was a GE similar to Greg's for sale on Michigan's Craig's list a couple of months ago.  It was high priced as well but not $600.00.  Ouch!

I wonder if it's an Electrolux in the little black box.  ;)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:36:38 PM »
The one I have is beyond ugly.  Mine was given to me, otherwise I would not have paid a dime for it.  I'd like to figure out a way to make a new enclosure for the guts.  It would make a great shop radio.  Mine has to lean up against my tool box since it got run over by the tractor blade.  It has a very cheaply-built cabinet.  The enclosure under the changer is made to house a certain model TV chassis.  The "Vacu-Magic" compressor must run quiet.  I've never seen one up close.