Author Topic: Westinghouse console  (Read 212 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Westinghouse console
« on: January 29, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »

This looks tube-era and appears to have one woofer...interesting. You can be sure....

https://reading.craigslist.org/atq/d/leesport-westinghouse-stereo-record/6788692718.html

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Westinghouse console
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
Not a bad looker, and with a little cleaning/polishing....

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »
I wonder if there is another 12" speaker behind the cloth.  One would think that if it was a one-woofer, like a 3-channel job, the speaker would be in the center.  The cabinet looks Magnavox-ish with its sliding top lids.  It a cute little stereo.  Wonder if it has a full stereo FM tuner.  Looks like it has a VM 1200 changer. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »
I look at so many other things but just noticed the sliding lids now! Even if that amp and speakers are nothing special, I need a Westy for my console collection.

The V-M changer is something I have no choice but to be an expert on, if I am going to sell my excess Zenith and Motorola consoles as "working and restored".

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I called the seller and he took a picture of the model label. H-P1800 is the "contemporary walnut" version, which is the best choice in my opinion. Like GE, all the model numbers are listed. If this is the only Westinghouse I get, its a common one, unlike there one I posted a while back with PP 6BQ5 stereo, which sold for about 4x what I plan to offer for this one. 

I looked up the schematic in Sams, and the amp is single-ended 7695 outputs and 7025 pre-amps. . The b-plus voltage is only 140 volts, so this is a light-weight amp. The single 12" LF speaker is driven from a third transformer, connected across the L and R channels. I had a Philco of the same vintage that was the same config using 6BQ5 SE.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

voxACthirtee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 12:23:41 PM »
i ran across a similar sized Westinghouse. Mine had a stereo SE 7591 powered amp.Had the original Westinghouse branded 7591 in it. Console was shot, but the amp and the original 7591's sounded real nice.Mine also had a weird output scheme.Only 2 output transformers but the secondary on each was center tapped.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:47 AM »
The 7591's had 6-V filaments and could handle 300-450v on the plate, so were a step above the 7695.

This console has no power transformer. The 7695's have 50 volt heaters, and in series with the 7025's, which have pins 4 and 5 tied for 6.3v/300 ma operation.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
Not a bad looker, and with a little cleaning/polishing....

Bill

Exactly what I did last Friday when I picked it up ???, I just had to clean it up as soon as it came back to my shop for $40. I was impressed it had some interesting documentation. It had lived in the residence that was part of a long-time Chrysler-Plymouth Dealer. And of course, it was bought via a Westinghouse Appliance dealer, probably one of a handful sold.

It was not the cheapest console Westy sold though because the V-M 1241 record changer has a Sonotone cart. The cheapest westy stereo console used two 35EH5 output tubes.

The original owner's grandson had moved it a few times but it was dry (a rare blessing here in the moldy-soggy NE) there is a wood-bruise on the top at edge where something heavy must have come down on it. Also the grill cloth is pretty dull and has a hole or two but I have a replacement ready for it.

I'm probably the only one curious enough to be working on a Westy, so let's move this thread to "other tube hifi brands" before posting some pictures. ;)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Dave - if you need a Westy for your collection I may have a lead on one, will know more soon, pics have been promised. Right now all I know is it's 39" wide (just a smidge too wide for my space), has doors that open in the front (not a top slider), and a Collaro Conquest changer (not knowledgeable about those).
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 04:16:22 PM »
Turned out to be a hefty ride away and old late '40s early '50s non-stereo model, no interest to me at least.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY