Author Topic: A Little Sylvania SC515M I Picked Up Today. Soooo Sweet!  (Read 953 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: A Little Sylvania SC515M I Picked Up Today. Soooo Sweet!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
To paraphrase John Voelker, if going off-topic were a crime, then all of us were felons.

So who's John Voelker?  Well, his pen name was Robert Traver, and he wrote "Anatomy of a Murder"  that was made into a famous movie in the same Marquette, MI courthouse where the trial it was based on took place.  It's a magnificent building from the copper mining era, but I am wandering farther off topic.  Voelker was an Upper Peninsula lawyer and writer and a fanatical trout fisherman.  He was appointed to Michigan's Supreme Court but resigned after serving three years.  He said, "Other people can write my opinions but they can't catch my fish."  How many public officials ever leave voluntarily?  While he was on the Supreme Court there was an appeal from an indecent exposure conviction.  Some cops had infiltrated a nudist camp and snapped photos.  Voelker was outraged.  He wrote: "Yet to say that the search and arrests here were illegal is an understatement. It was indecent indeed, the one big indecency we find in this whole case: descending upon these unsuspecting souls like storm troopers; herding them before clicking cameras like plucked chickens; hauling them away in police cars and *573 questioning them for upwards of 5-1/2 hours and taking still more pictures; and then, final irony, swearing out warrants that one of their own number was the aggrieved victim of an indecent exposure of which more presently. If this search was legal then any deputized window-peeper with a ladder can spy upon any married couple in the land and forthwith photograph and arrest them for exposing themselves indecently to him." 

And then he said: "Private fanaticism or even bad taste is not yet a ground for police interference. If eccentricity were a crime, then all of us were felons." 

You can read the whole opinion here:
https://law.justia.com/cases/michigan/supreme-court/1958/353-mich-562-0.html

Supreme Court justices usually don't get seriously pissed off, and when they do, it's normally very polite.  But John Voelker wasn't one to tolerate stupid behavior, and he was a writer to boot, so the opinion makes for a good read. He was one of those guys who make me proud to live in Michigan.

Chris Campbell

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Hi Bill, I listen to my AS225a speakers quite a bit, they are superb for pipe organ music!  Not to threadcrap, here is the Sylvania receiver I have (it's still keeping in the same brand).  This was my first high quality stereo system when I was growing up, it was quite expensive.  Sylvania matched their top of the line system with the Dual 1225 I believe.  I had one of those as well, but didn't know how to fix them, so I got rid of that piece.  I wished I had kept that.  The RQ xxxx line were the 4 channel line of receivers (RQ3748) was quite popular.

Threadcrap away...  I'm learning something also.  That receiver looks like a mixture of Pioneer and Kenwood judging from the front.  I looked up those AS225's online.  They were sure handsome.  The grills remind me of the Kenwood speakers of the era. 

Chris, however, you are banned from threadcrapping.  You leave too big of a pile!   :-*
Professional Smoke Releaser

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 09:21:55 PM »
Steve,

You are so right, the AS225's are the best for pipe organ.  Everything just blends.  I wish I could remember what my model number was for either receiver.  I may still have a brochure and when I get back to Michigan I'll check. 

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
Sylvania sure had the design engineering to back up their products.

Imagine them writing specs for the hi-fi equipment.

That receiver Steve posted has a part number for everything.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:51 AM »
          In the old QSTs (early to mid 60s), Sylvania used to run informmercial ads giving the specs and design features of some new tube type that they had developed, usually a VHF low noise RF amplifier tube. They knew that a lot of electronic designers at the hifi companies were has and read QST. 
         I think a lot of Fisher FM tuner sections used them in their front ends , such as 6HA5, and the ads were proud of their low noise figures and high transconductance. Sometimes they would advertise their own special version of an existing tube with maybe an added letter such 6HA5A or B and give the spec that was improved on their version compared to the regular one.
          Not too many companies that made hifi consoles also had divisions that created and manufactured new vacuum tubes but Sylvania was one. Most of the companies had GE or RCA or whoever they got the tubes from,  put their names on the tubes and then state on the cabinet backs "Always insist on genuine Silvertone tubes in this radio. It was designed for best performance with them"  The dealer that sold my mother her new Pontiac in 1965 told her that the initial gas in the tank was ESSO and that she had better not  put other gas in it because its bad for a car to get another type of gas in it once it was "used to" one type. They probably saved that line for the female purchasers.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 07:11:49 PM »
One of my curbside finds is a Fisher 600T (for transistor, I guess) receiver.  I dragged it home, hooked up speakers, and plugged it in.  On FM, all I got was hiss.  My heart sank.  But a few seconds later, the filaments on the Nuvistors in the front end warmed up and I was getting sound.  I hadn't noticed that this solid-state device had a couple tubes... little tiny ones.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 11:13:46 PM »
   I didn't know Fisher made hybrids like that. I recently bought a Fisher FM1000 gutted chassis with no power supply parts or front panel or controls, or tu-bes but intact RF and IF circuits and cans. I want to see if I retube it and get a power supply up t o it, how it would work in y faraway location. It did havee two nuvistors in it, I guess hwhoever stripped e tubes missed it

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Nuvistors were used in the HH Scott 344, the FETs were used in the 344B. I have both examples but have not tried the 344. The 344B was a great FM receiver, pulling in the weakest of desired stations with a minimal antenna. That is something that the Japanese could not quite match in the 1970s, IMAO.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave