Author Topic: Which O-Scope Under $300?  (Read 344 times)

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
Which O-Scope Under $300?
« on: February 06, 2019, 07:42:47 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for a decent O-Scope good for audio work?

I used to use a Tektronics 2465 at work, so I'm familiar with it for the most part.  I like the volt/div and Freq settings showing up on the screen instead of having to look at the knob each time.  It kept my ass out of trouble several times. 

Anyone have any favorites for this hobbyist work on vintage audio?  Any specific reasons why?

Thanks!! 
Professional Smoke Releaser

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Which O-Scope Under $300?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »
I have two scopes, an old Tek 532 and a little Heathkit.  I seldom use them, and, in fact, don't know if they still work.  A scope is overkill on radios or audio for the most part.  They help with TV.  If you like tinkering with one, let me know.  I need to go thru both of mine.  I never was good with one.  I'd like to learn how to use one to advantage.  You can buy one reasonable for the most part on ebay.  You'd likely need to make some repair to most anything you'd find.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

ukfan4sure!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
Yes, I like to tinker.  Maybe I'm messed up, but seeing the signal going from inject through pre-amp to output is something I'd like to see.  I would like to think that tracing the signal through the paces could really be a benefit in finding those hard to isolate amplification problems.  I mean seriously, it could even help let you know how matched the gain is on your tubes by watching both waveforms on volume attenuation.  If you have noise on your rectified power, you can even see the ripple with a scope.  That alone is a huge pain in the rear when trying to get clean signal.  Sometimes, you can isolate it to even one half of the bridge rectifier circuit.  Yeah, me wants one  :) 
Professional Smoke Releaser

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:03 AM »
My old Tek 532 has 77 tubes in it and is an electric heater with a CRT!  It has something like 6 5U4's if my memory is good.  I would say if you want one you can actually use, buy a solid state scope.  If you want one to tinker and show, then a tube one is best.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.