Author Topic: What do we know about Clairtone?  (Read 252 times)

firedome

• View Profile
What do we know about Clairtone?
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
Stumbled across a Model 523 Clairtone, yet to see it or find info. Comments?

My '63 SAMS Index (very handy to have!) has a folder 786-6 folder on it, so I'm guessing hopefully it's tube, but not sure if stereo.

theschematicman doesn't have that folder. Flying blind here as to if it's worth a drive to check it out, the old feller (hey I am one!) did say when I asked if it was longer than it was tall (always question #1) that yes it  was, and it had a record player in it. Clairtone is terra incognita to me... anyone?

Drinking a Manhattan and listening to the "Retro Cocktail Hour" on the FM at the moment, - Les Baxter complete with jungle birdcalls - love it!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
Re: What do we know about Clairtone?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:14:02 PM »
I think I've seen a Photofact for a long Clairtone stereo console. It had a magnetic cartridge in maybe a Garrard turntable and 12AX7s magnetic preamp

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:50:41 AM »
It's not far away so will check it out, you never know!!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
Well, that was a bust!! 
But the visit was fun. The guy was a 94 yr old retired IBM exec, had a 15 ac estate on top of a hill, an incredible view, really nice house, and a 3 car garage with a darn near perfect show winning '54 Corvette in it! 6 cylinder! He'd just given his '55 XK-140 drophead to a son in VT, and his '55 MG-TF1500 to a son in Colorado - my kinda guy!  IBM started here early 1900s making time clocks, and once had 15,000 people in 3 plants here, so guys like that are not unusual, but they're passing on swiftly these days. My 92 yr old ex-IBM EE uncle here is one of them, still sharp as a tack but getting very feeble.

Anyhow the '64 Clairtone turned out to be one of their earliest SS models, so not of interest to me, but he still had the receipt, $475 in '64!  Also sort of an Italian Provincial design too, so an albatross in that way as well. Oh well, it's all part of the chase, and it was fun to talk with him, one of the great parts of this hobby is the people.  If anyone wants something like that for more-or-less nothing in Binghamton NY let me know and I'll put you in touch! I just don't have room for spec pieces. Shoulda got some pics but in my distraction I forgot.