Author Topic: We need to start a GE board on here!  (Read 5108 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Re: We need to start a GE board on here!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
GE's components were well made and very impressive performers, with the minor exception that their compnents' gold front panels were made of thin plastic with gold metal foil backing, not aluminum or plated steel like some other mfr's used, and they cracked easily. But the big transformers used were indicators of quality, the stereo amp I had was quite competitive with the big names.  GE also made some very impressive speaker systems, our neighbor had a large GE pair about the size of AR3s that he had paired with Fisher separate tube components and a Weathers turntable, all circa 1960, and it was the first really impressive stereo system I'd ever heard, life changing and the actual start of my audio obsession.

RCA also made some impressive components, including separates in the mid 50s sold as such, or in consoles, and the later and rarely seen MX-7 receiver, which was quite competitive with Fisher during it's limited run around 1959/60, no mpx at that time. Have had many Fishers and one RCA MX-7 in the past, the latter used 6973 outputs, fairly unusual, and like GE's components oddly it also had a flimsy and easily damaged very thin aluminum front panel. They must have been trying to cut costs but at least their chassis/circuit was first class. I'm surprised RCA that doesn't appear to have used this receiver in a console, but I've never seen an MX-7 factory installed in one, maybe they are out there?

At one time I sought out these products out as I liked the idea of true components that were conceived and built by actual tube manufacturers. I don't believe that Sylvania, Westinghouse, Tung Sol, or other tube mfr's ever made truly high-ish end separate components of this caliber. If any of them did I'd be interested to know about them!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 06:16:25 PM »
I never knew RCA made components.  Your receiver looks impressive.  You do, or do not still have it?   Of the others you mentioned, Sylvania did make some high end components.  I never had the opportunity to one, but have heard of them. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 09:39:22 PM »
RCA made a variety of components and professional/semi-professional gear.  I've got two little P-P 6V6 high fidelity amps, model SVP-10, from the early 1950s.

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
No longer have the MX-7, 6973s are pricey and like to have lots of spares so I moved it on.
Wasn't aware of them until a few years ago, however the SP tube amp series and Harry Olson designed LC-1 speaker are well known, the latter selling for unspeakable prices nowadays!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »
Sorry, but you photo did not work!  I never heard of Harry Olson speakers either.  I must really lead a sheltered life.

Bill

chazglenn3

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 05:58:52 PM »
I see the photo
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2019, 08:40:53 AM »
I finally got it to work.  :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
Here is a diagram of the guts I have I'd like to find a cabinet for.  I don't know the model number of this chassis, but I can guess pretty closely.  The speakers are coded "137  234", so the Chicago Telephone Supply made the speakers on the 23rd week of 1964.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 08:25:21 PM »
Love that "Mazda lamp" reference on the diagram--GE using its own product names.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2019, 10:16:21 PM »
This rig is a pretty good performer.  It has dinky speakers, so I don't know if bigger speakers would help or hinder.  I use it for a shop radio, since the cabinet is not only not my style, but it is smashed and held together by a tie-down strap.  Considering the minimalist engineering with this GE stuff, I can't help but be impressed with how well it works.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
I spoke with Don today.  The same Don who has allowed me to babysit his GE collection.  I informed him it was in good hands and referred him to this thread to follow along.  Plans were made to have lunch one day soon and discuss restoration plans in more detail.