Author Topic: Amplifier Transistors  (Read 193 times)

David_ATX

• View Profile
Amplifier Transistors
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:34 PM »
I have a vintage Magnavox console and one channel of the amplifier is not working. I suspect that the transistors for that channel one or both are bad. I have been trying to figure out a replacement and am at a loss of where to start. The only data I have is the internal wiring diagram for the speakers and other inputs. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
Re: Amplifier Transistors
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
Well........in general, depending on what model you have and what controls and features that model has......the bad channel might come back by exercising every seldom-used control back and forth such as bass, treble, selector, volume, speaker selector, and even headphone jack and tape monitor switch. You can do all this with the balance control set to one side so that the good channel is very low,that will make the bad channel more audible if it should come back. Previous owners such as my 90 year old aunt, have never touched any control on their Magnavoxes since new 50 years ago, except the on-off-reject switch on the record changer and volume. (I don't even know if she knows it can get radio stations)  So any control could qualify as a "seldom used" control and the last time I tried out her stereo, every single control on it was scratchy. It took a lot of back and forth to get both channels back again and once I got them back I didn't touch a thing, she'd disinherit me if the last thing she remembered was that I touched her stereo and it was never the same again. 
           Let us know the model number because a lot of the members have access to the pictures and schematics of them ad can give you more specific advice. Some models have known quirks and they know about them too. Good luck