Author Topic: Unknown console  (Read 1890 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Unknown console
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
I've been offered this unknown (by seller, who says it's inaccessible right now) console, who sent just this one crappy bike-covered pic and a description saying the doors (sort of visible, open) on the sides close to cover the speakers, and the right 2/3rds of the top lifts up to reveal a record changer and AM/FM controls. The center door on the front opens for storage. Says it works well except for the changer. Cabinet looks like a medium-dark wood (cherry?) in a somewhat formal design.  Maybe someone can enlarge the pic? (this computer idiot can't do). He's about 2 hours away and can't get it out of storage until April. Does anyone recognize this one?
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Unknown console
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
Stromberg-Carlson?  Whatever it is, you should grab it if you can.   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
I certainly hope to, he claims the cabinet is in mint condition, but it's impossible to tell from this pic. Now that I've decided out of desperation to move into stacking stuff in my office, at least until we can sell this house which is our former rental and move back to a bigger place (you have to live in a rental property for 2 years to convert it to primary dwelling in order to avoid capital gains), maybe I can shoe-horn this one in for the time being. That is IF it's a tube unit, I've turned down 2 SS consoles in the last month, they're coming out of the woodwork, it must be early "Spring cleaning"? Anyhow this one looks promising. Still like to know who made it, if Stromberg that would be a good thing imo.   

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
BTW Stromberg is one of the console makers that made their own speakers, and they made some good ones! Hope it is one!  Anyone else recognize this particular unknown console?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »
I can't ID the console but it looks like a keeper.  The photo strikes all the right notes with me--a sailboat, a bicycle, a trombone, and cool old electronics.  I was a trombone player in high school (last chair, always).  All the photo needs to make it complete is an old car.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
Don't think it's an SC they tended to have tops that open on the left side not the right.  Strikes me as more of a GE or RCA looking beast.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
I am guessing here but the furniture style looks tube-era, and that's a good thing.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
Could it be a Fisher?  I know they had many different cabinet styles that had doors over the speakers.  Early to mid 60's is the vibe I get from the cabinet.  In any case it looks very nice.

Steve

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
Here's a picture of a Fisher that looks very similar to the one in your picture.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
How did this turn out?  Neat looking console
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 12:01:36 PM »
Thanks SS, it sure does look like that Fisher. I'll have to look on the Fisher console site to try to ID it.

The guy lives several hrs away but says he's coming up here sometime in April, I need to have patience (hard, I get easily distracted, right now fixating on old, really old, cars). He says he's coming up to do a Finger Lakes Beer tour in April, and would bring it if worthwhile for him, $ wise I don't know what that means yet, so I need to ID this thing!

OK - it does look like a Custom Electra VIII, 1965, that means a hybrid tube-SS. I'm not so interested in those, but if anyone is, I can get you the contact info, it looks like it's the Cherry wood version, very attractive, and he says the cabinet is minty! Located Central PA.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »
Easily distracted, that's me!!!!!!!!!!
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"