Author Topic: Westinghouse 1962 console H-M1801  (Read 168 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Westinghouse 1962 console H-M1801
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:34:57 PM »
Yes, you can be sure if its Westinghouse. I got this two week ago and already cleaned it up, took out the chassis for a bit of upgrade and finally got around to posting it. It was an easy to carry up to my new second floor shop with only a furniture lifting strap.

First lots of pictures and later, details of how EASY it was to restore and then how it sounds.
Hint- the schematic has very few parts compared to others but I was surprised by the first slow power-up using a series 300 watt mogul-base light bulb.

This may be the easiest and fastest restoration I ever did, it was put together with the serviceman in mind and the power supply is outrageously simple.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Westinghouse 1962 console
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:36:45 PM »
More pictures - I bought this from the original owner's grandson, who recalls playing it on holidays and that it cost $300 (likely repeated often as in "be gentle with that, it cost $300"). Another interesting fact was that his grandparents owned a small Chrysler-Plymouth Dealer and lived above the showroom :D

The Westy dealer, on the north side of Reading, is long gone but was a typical small store with faithful customers who would gamble on a less-prestigious console because they were sure  ;) that dealer would stand behind, if only because his appliance service was so good. 

This console was opened one time, not for repairs, but to wire a 1/4" headphone jack poked thru one of the back cover holes. The original tubes were dated 61-39 and tested like new, also unusual for anything this age! Sylvania made the 7695s, which were designed for only 130 volts B+ supply and had 50-volt filaments.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Re: Westinghouse 1962 console H-M1801
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
Nice!  I can't imagine carrying any of my consoles by myself.  That one must really be relatively light.
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
Tell us about the furniture lifting strap, and tell where the output tubes are located on the chassis--I can't see them.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
Nice looking!  I'm anxious to hear how it sounds.

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »
The sound on first power-up was reception but full of hum that got intense turning up volume or bass controls. Looking at the schematic, I see the tube filaments for the two 50-volt outputs and 7025 and 12AX7's is filtered DC B+ :o and it has a 30 mf and 10 mf cap to ground in the filament string, presumably to further isolate the pre-amp tube filaments from output audio.

This is a tactic used on some Fisher tube models, where the preamp tubes' heaters were powered by DC generated across the output tubes' cathode resistor (bias setting). Here is a picture of the chassis with the output tubes removed for transport to the bench.

This set is a hot chassis in the truest sense, and the owners manual advises you to "reverse the power plug" if excessive hum is encountered. A polarized plug was not even used so, I plan on looking for a 1:1 isolation transformer that can be added economically. At the least, a grounded cord would be the minimum solution to make the set incrementally safer..

I will get some pictures of the chassis, which has every component's value printed in bold yellow on the PCB, rather than a factory-assigned list number. This make resistance checks much faster, and yes the resistor values checked were at the tolerance extremes. i.e. 330K measure 398K
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
Your Westinghouse appears to be related to the little GE's I've recently inherited.  It's good to see one of these saved.  You don't see many of them. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:46:39 PM »
My uncle here has a little hot-chassis Westinghouse consoles, even smaller, sort of the size of one of those little RCA Orthophonic wood case record players on legs circa '58, has AM/FM and a small changer. 
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY