Author Topic: Need help with Collaro changer  (Read 2885 times)

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
Need help with Collaro changer
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
Hi guys, well I finally finished recapping the 58 Magnavox berkshire. I now need to adjust the tone arm on the Collaro deluxe changer, as you all know, there are two screws that you adjust to make the tone arm come over and set down where it belongs, I have the hight correct but I spent 3 hours tonight and I can't get it to move over to set down on the record.
Am I supposed to have the arm setting on the housing the two screws go against a certain way? In all the magnavox's I own, and have many I never had to adjust a tone arm before for this issue, I have had to service them clean and oil, but not this. I just can't figure it out. Other than that the sets ready to go and sounds amazing.
Any ideas or help I'd be greatful

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Need help with Collaro changer
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
I can never remember how those adjustments work without looking at the manual.  Look in "Downloads" on this forum.  There should be something there to help you and good luck!
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 06:19:25 AM »
Wasn't anything there
The arm needs to be set down on that post so the screws hit that just right to adjust, I'm sure someone here knows :)
I got frustrated last night and had to take a break. In all the years I never had to adjust that before on these sets
I been lucky I guess  :D

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
I assume that you have determined that there is nothing bent or out of place in the changer mechanism. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Yes,
I know it's the tonearm and the adjustment screws out of whack
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'll try again tonight, but it's frustrating

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:42:55 PM »
What series is the changer??? 

Should be some model numbers either on a tag on the bottom or possibly stamped onto the platter.

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:58 PM »
Hi guys, well I finally finished recapping the 58 Magnavox berkshire. I now need to adjust the tone arm on the Collaro deluxe changer, as you all know, there are two screws that you adjust to make the tone arm come over and set down where it belongs, I have the hight correct but I spent 3 hours tonight and I can't get it to move over to set down on the record.
Am I supposed to have the arm setting on the housing the two screws go against a certain way? In all the magnavox's I own, and have many I never had to adjust a tone arm before for this issue, I have had to service them clean and oil, but not this. I just can't figure it out. Other than that the sets ready to go and sounds amazing.
Any ideas or help I'd be greatful

I looked up my Sams Record Changer manual and found a Collaro RC456 which Magnavox badged as the Deluxe. It may have a different tonearm, but the adjustments are the same.  I'm going to scan it and post it in Downloads early this evening.  In the meantime, you can try the adjustment below.

The manual says to bring the tone arm inward, loosen the left screw and tighten the right screw the same amount. NOTE: This adjustment is very sensative; turn the screws only a fraction of a turn at a time until the desired adjustment is obtained, and finally check that position is correct after both screws have been firmly tightened. Avoid excessive force when tightening these screws.
Ray

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:18:03 AM »
Thanks ray
By inward you mean toward the spindle or rest post?
As it is now all it does is drop the record the arm come over a hair just past the rest list and sets down that's all
I'll try this tonight, thanks for uploading the manual

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
Thanks ray
By inward you mean toward the spindle or rest post?
As it is now all it does is drop the record the arm come over a hair just past the rest list and sets down that's all
I'll try this tonight, thanks for uploading the manual

Inward would be towards the edge of the record.
Ray