Author Topic: Another car show  (Read 85 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Another car show
« on: March 10, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
This one was at a local American Legion post.  Bikes and cars.  The bikers were in charge.  Not as many cars as the last one.  SOMEBODY left the camera at home....

It was a WONDERFUL day for a car show.   :)

This show had some 409's in it.  They played the 409 song at least twice.  All the 409's I saw were in street rods.  There was a '61 Chevy station wagon that somebody had stuffed a 454 into.  The rat rod with the 3/4 race flattie was there.  That old flathead V-8, running thru open headers, still sounds amazing.  There was no attempt to make it look good, but it sure sounds nice.  There was a black '67 Firebird parked next to the Buick.  There was a 421 with three deuces '66 Catalina there, but they left early.  The Firebird looked nice, but someone had shoehorned a 428 from a '69 GP into it, and not very well.  I'm not a fan of electric fans.  I believe part of a successful, professional engine swap is figuring out how to run an engine-driven fan.  There was a really nice '41 Chevy one-and -a-half ton truck.  Very nice restoration.  Still had the old 216 with no oil filter in it.  It had been a long time since I heard the valves click in a 216 truck motor.  Somebody entered a '74 Lincoln Continental with dirt and bugs still on it.  There was a nice Nova station wagon, circa 1963-ish with Seafoam Green metallic paint.  One of my favorite colors.  And the usual array of motorcycles of all descriptions, heavy on Harley. 

I remember the 348/409 Chevy V-8's being good truck engines, but not so good in cars.  Trucks had governors, typically 3500 rpm.  They did not like high revs much above that.  When one blew, it made a mess.  A well-tuned Power Pack 283 could outrun one and a 327 would run off and hide from one.  Now, their attraction is their appearance.  They do look nice with finned aluminum valve covers and three deuces.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
Re: Another car show
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:53:00 AM »
Did they play the Little Cobra song?? Love that one.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Another car show
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »
Yep.  And "Dead Man's Curve"....... ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.