Author Topic: Needed to break the ice  (Read 1838 times)

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
Needed to break the ice
« on: September 23, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »
I felt this topic needed some life pumped into...  I'm a console lover, but in the basement or laboratory as I call it, I house my "other" tube gear. Currently, I'm running a set of Heathkit W3 mono blocks. These beauties have been recapped and the sound is INCREDIBLE. The sound is being pushed  out to a pair of Bozak 302E urbans as well as a pair of Karlson cabinets fitted with University 6201 speakers.

Oh yeah, the W3's feed my Dynaco PAS2 (not shown) modded by our site host (Pat)..

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Needed to break the ice
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
In my "laboratory" I have my equipment that I use to transfer my analog music media to digital and onto CD.  I have a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, an RCA graphic equalizer, a Realistic tape monitor, an AKAI M-9 reel to reel deck, a Sony dual cassette deck, a Pioneer 8-track deck and my old V-M 730 mono tape deck.  I use a pair of Peavey 18" "Studio Monitor" speakers to annoy the neighbors.  I use six different turntables, depending on what type of records I am processing.  I run Stanton, Shure, GE VR, and Audio Technica magnetic cartridges.  I have transferred 16's, 33's, 45''s, 78's, cylinder records, Edison records, DAT's, 8 tracks, cassettes, open reel tape.  The trickiest ones are the cylinder records.  It takes lots of mikes, lots of EQ, and a good computer program, but they sound amazingly good after they are processed.  The computer I use is an HP desktop, runs Widows 7 Pro, 64 bit with 16 GB of memory and a 2TB hard drive.  The computer program I use costs less than $40, but successfully melds old technology with new.  I have found that using USB turntables is fairly unsuccessful due to lack of sufficient amplification.  I have also found that a desk top computer works better than more convenient and modern equipment due to its more robust construction and greater adaptability............GREG
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »
My "modern" rig consists of a Mitsubishi LT-30 turntable, a Pass Pearl 2 DIY phono pre, and a Pass integrated amp I built using the B1 passive pre and F5 power amp. I also built an O2 headphone amp which sounds fantastic. I find that one can get great sound for small bucks by going the DIY route.

Mark

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:57:18 AM »
I admire workmanship like that.  My stuff is a jumbled mess with wires running everywhere.  Neatness is not my strong suite............GREG
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.