Author Topic: New (Old) Magnavox  (Read 374 times)

MikeD

• View Profile
New (Old) Magnavox
« on: March 12, 2019, 04:58:05 PM »
Hello

I have been looking for a while for something to play my Old Lp's on. I had originally started looking for something with nice cabinet that I could install newer components into. While antiquing with my wife I found  a console in super shape cabinet wise , and it was actually playing so I was immediately  intrigued. I was assured that the changer also worked but didn't test it there (turns out not so well) however I bought it anyway.

It is a Magnavox model 1ST615 although the tag inside the cabinet has a 0 on the end. The amp is an 8802 and the changer is a Micromatic  S600 (collaro). All I can see on the tuner is 59 24 00. That's about all I can tell you other than if has a cherry finish.

I am happy I found it and hope to work out the issues with the changer. I see after reading on here that these are fairly good units. I spent the better part of the weekend with it out of the console for a good cleaning and re-greasing and oiling. It is better but still does not function properly. I wiil post more on it's issues in the changer section of the forum.

I am happy to have this as it brings back a lot of memories. My dad had a console while I was growing up and so did my Aunt. Both of theirs were of the aircraft carrier variety being 6 feet or longer. I was looking for a smaller unit and this was what I had in mind.

Can't wait to learn more about this unit and get it tuned up and running for another 50+ years.

Mike

electra225

• View Profile
Re: New (Old) Magnavox
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mike!   :)

Your changer needs the typical tune-up they all need after nearly 60 years.  The grease on the mechanism gets hard.  The motor mounts sag, the drive tire becomes hard and slick, and the motor needs taken apart, cleaned and re-oiled with a little turbine oil.  Then, you should fully service the electronics, replace filter caps and paper coupling caps, check resistors, and test the tubes.  And install a fuse in the primary of the power transformer in the amplifier.  This will help save something expensive should something short out.  Give this thing a good tune-up and you're good to go for another 60 years.

Your 1ST615 is a model in the Concerto series, circa 1961.  In the American Traditional cabinet style with a cherry finish.  I own a 616, and you can see it in my Gallery at the top of this page.  These little stereos are the least expensive console stereos Magnavox built with a push-pull audio amplifier.  Mine is a robust performer.  I believe you'll be well-satisfied with yours after you get a little service work done on it.

Welcome and good luck.  We'll be happy to help anyway we can.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
Welcome Mike!

I agree with what Electra 225 said.  Once you have completed the normal tune up, your new toy will perform like new. I need warn you, one is not enough!  They become addicting, and after a while you find yourself wanting more. Just saying.  Ask anyone here on the forum.   ;) ::) ;D

Bill

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mike!   :)

Your changer needs the typical tune-up they all need after nearly 60 years.  The grease on the mechanism gets hard.  The motor mounts sag, the drive tire becomes hard and slick, and the motor needs taken apart, cleaned and re-oiled with a little turbine oil.  Then, you should fully service the electronics, replace filter caps and paper coupling caps, check resistors, and test the tubes.  And install a fuse in the primary of the power transformer in the amplifier.  This will help save something expensive should something short out.  Give this thing a good tune-up and you're good to go for another 60 years.

Your 1ST615 is a model in the Concerto series, circa 1961.  In the American Traditional cabinet style with a cherry finish.  I own a 616, and you can see it in my Gallery at the top of this page.  These little stereos are the least expensive console stereos Magnavox built with a push-pull audio amplifier.  Mine is a robust performer.  I believe you'll be well-satisfied with yours after you get a little service work done on it.

Welcome and good luck.  We'll be happy to help anyway we can.

Thanks, I had guessed '61 or '62. It looks very similar to the 1ST616 you restored( beautiful work by the way). Mine has the veneered tops too not the photo finish . I am happy so far with the tuner and hope to get the changer functioning soon. As far as the caps and such , I am a little weary of electronics , always have been. I am not certain how to approach that yet. Are parts available for these ? Also I have read about MPX stereo adapters for these units , mine is not equipped with one are these available and would the be hard to install?

Thanks again, Mike

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:04 PM »
Welcome Mike!

I agree with what Electra 225 said.  Once you have completed the normal tune up, your new toy will perform like new. I need warn you, one is not enough!  They become addicting, and after a while you find yourself wanting more. Just saying.  Ask anyone here on the forum.   ;) ::) ;D

Bill

I can certainly see how after looking at some of the pictures of members consoles . There are some beauties out there . That concert grand sounds like an amazing piece of equipment. And the  Imperial and.....

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
As far as the caps and such , I am a little weary of electronics , always have been. I am not certain how to approach that yet. Are parts available for these ?

The really good news is that not only are the parts available, they are better than the originals by a wide margin.  The biggest threat to your device is the electrolytic capacitors, polarized devices in the power supply mostly.  I buy them from Mouser (warning:  their website/catalog has a steep learning curve; I said @#&*%!!! a lot while trying to select items to order the first time). 

https://www.mouser.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspvcn6uA4QIVhrbACh3cJwXWEAAYASAAEgKSd_D_BwE

The smaller ones, nonpolarized lower-value capacitors, can be purchased from Sal's Capacitor Corner:

http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

He's prompt with shipping.

Others may have other suggestions.  On the electrolytics, observe polarity (+/-) and voltage ratings; the current standard values don't quite match the standard values of former days, but you can get the closest match.  On the small ones, just match value (again, standards have changed slightly) and voltage rating.

My practice is to replace them one by one so as not to do anything ultra-stupid.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Talk about ultra-stupid.  Somehow my whole reply got incorporated in the quote. Oops.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:22:03 PM »
Multiplex adapters are available and not expensive.  They plug right in to your stereo.  There is documentation in the "Downloads" section that shows how to install an MPX and where it should be mounted in the cabinet.  The Multiplex adapter should be restored before it is installed.  They work nice when everything is right.  Those old Magnavox tube tuners are NOTORIOUS for FM drift.  That is part of their personality.  If your stereo has an "FM AFC" position on the function switch, that is a major plus.  This feature was phased in during the 1961 production year.  Just make sure all the tubes are good in the tuner and MPX, use the AFC position and you'll be fine.  After it gets a good tune up!   ;)

I know this is easier said than done, but be aware that operating your stereo before it has been thoroughly service may be hazardous to its health.  These things are not that difficult to work on.  There is lots of room to work.  If you have a soldering iron and the skill to use it, plus some basic tools, we can walk you thru the repair.  And you need to print the schematics for the amp and tuner so you will have a road map of how the electricity flows thru your stereo.  The schematics should be available in "Downloads".

Thanks for the kind words.  My 616 was a mess when I got it.

A good place to buy an MPX is ebay.  I got all mine for less than $30 apiece.  Don't pay much more than that for one.  Your stereo will use a 70 series Multiplex adapter, the two-tube model.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:28 PM »
Mike,

Please, please, please do a rebuild before you use your new toy much.  And be sure to install a fuse in the power supply circuit.  It's an easy thing to do, and it could save your amps life.  I sure am glad I installed the fuse, it saved me a lot of grief.  And, if I can rebuild, so can YOU!!  :)

Chris is correct on Mousers site.  It's a pain in the butt the first few times you use it.  Sal's pretty much has everything you will need with a couple of exceptions.  That's when I go to Mouser. 

Keeps us in the loop please, and good luck.

Bill

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I did see a couple of the caps on Sal's site. They were 630 volt Vs. the 400 in the schematic for the Amp. I know nothing about electronics so I don't know if it matters if the ratings are that much off. I found a similar one for all but the C9 in the schematic(100 N150) no idea what that means. As for the Electrolytic caps , C1 through C3 in the parts list, I can find nothing for those that crosses to the part nos. listed.
Bill mentioned a fuse in the power supply , not sure what to do there either ???. I did find some tubes on ebay so if I need those I can go that route, also so an Electrolytic on there that crosses.

I'm beginning to think I may just enjoy this thing until it @#%$s the bed and then put new components in it. I like the cabinet . I have always been an original as built type of guy, I restore old cars and have rebuilt several houses but believe this may be out of my range. This thing has more wires than my '66 Mustang ( that's really not an exaggeration ).

The extent  of my electronics knowledge is plugging in the dvd and I even have a 12 year old hook that stuff up sometimes. My father was an electronics guy in the navy and worked another 20 years for GE Medical . He knows his way around this stuff and may be able to help if I can get everything together. At 80 he may not be able to crawl around the cabinet but can offer some guidance an moral support. At least I can take the Amp out to work on, I am not touching that tuner, looks too easy to biff something up.

Anyway I'll keep looking for parts and trying to get the changer working. Thanks again.

Mike

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to add that the amp is an 8802. I could not find any info on the 59 24 tuner so I am not messing with that. I will try to make a list of caps for the amp and keep trying to find them. Four out of 9 is a start :-[  Mike

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »
C9 is an .01uf @1400 volt ceramic cap across the primary of the PT.  I would leave it alone.  You should buy 630 volt coupling caps from Sal to replace any paper cap in the amp and tuner.  The electrolytics are something like 30uf @450.  IIRC, there are two of those and a 40uf in the power supply can cap, along with a 25uf@50 volt cathode bypass cap.  I would mount the by-pass cap closer to the output tubes.  Sal has everything you need in that regard.  I would not worry about tubes at this point.  Those can come later.  There are 220K ohm resistors in the grid circuit that are typically found drifted high.  Those need to be replaced and the balance of the resistors checked and replaced if they have drifted over about 10% from rated value.  You can get a fuse holder at most any electronics house.  I'd say this is a mandatory addition.  A 1 amp Slo-Blo fuse should be okay.  Don't pay any attention to part numbers listed on the schematic.  Those numbers meant very little in the day and mean absolutely nothing now, as they are long obsolete.  Go by the values on the individual components and order by those.  Replace capacitors with like capacitance value and with equal or greater voltage.  Replace resistors with exact value and at least the same or slightly higher wattage.  You can replace a 1/2 watt resistor with 1 watt, for example.  Some guys do this as a matter of routine.  Plan to replace the cathode bias resistor in any case.  We'll refer to the schematic for value, but those babies can cause trouble. 

What part of the country are you in? Maybe somebody here is close enough to help.  You may have said already.  If so, I'm old, I forget and I'm too lazy to look and find out for myself.   :-[

If you'd like, we can make a list of the caps and things you'll need and we can go over it with you so you don't overlook something. 

I have the schematic for the 59 series tuner if that will help.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »
Another comment on capacitors.  The standard values changed after our old devices were designed and built. Most of the capacitors in them were +/- 20% anyway.  The closest mfd. values will work.  Being over the original voltage does not matter at all unless it's an electrolytic cap and the new one is way over the specified voltage.  Just pick the next higher voltage to the original.

Example:  my old GE radio had .05 mfd caps at 400 working volts.  I replaced with Sal's .047 @ 630 VDC.  No problem.

I just ordered filter caps for my Maggie table radio.  I needed one 1500 mfd @ 25 V.  Mouser sent me 15,000 mfd.  Not good.  I reordered tonight. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 12:31:19 AM »
You can do it Mike, you can do it.  If your Dad lives close by, pull the amp, have the schematic handy, get the parts, and have him guide you through the process.  That way you have an expert helping guide your hands, and you are learning. 

Bill

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 01:08:49 AM »
On the caps I see several different types and styles. I think I got the 4 coupling caps but still haven't found the Electrolytics that are close and not sure on the type either. I will skip those for now. If I can get the changer figured out I will order the coupling caps, otherwise it's moot to me to even proceed.  :-\ The tuner I will not mess with , because I decided I didn't want to trash the cabinet and give it to the wife to make a bar out of or something else creative.