Author Topic: Micromatic S600  (Read 101 times)

MikeD

• View Profile
Micromatic S600
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
I recently purchased a Magnavox 1ST615 with the Micromatic changer. When I got it home and tried it out it would touch the edge of the record like it should then come down on the beginning of the record but not advance. If I manually set it on a random spot on the record it would play for several seconds then stop advancing again. I took the changer out and cleaned it as seen on some posts on here and even in a Utube video. This and some adjustments it is better but now when it reaches the end of a record it will just stall while the record keeps spinning and not return and shut off. Every now and then it will still stop advancing but this much less common now. I do have a new stylus on order but don't believe this is the issue . It has the EV26 cartridge , how do you know when these are bad ?  Also are drive wheels and repair parts for these out there?

Thanks,

Mike

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Micromatic S600
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
Do you mean that the arms fails to advance, fails to follow the grooves inward?  If so, you need to clean up the bearings of the tone arm.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:37 PM »
Gary at VM Enthusiasts has all the doodads you need to get your changer going again.  It sounds to me like you have something with hardened grease on it.  It is not tripping the cycling mechanism at the end of the record.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
Do you mean that the arms fails to advance, fails to follow the grooves inward?  If so, you need to clean up the bearings of the tone arm.

Chris Campbell

Yes that's it . I did have the changer out and cleaned but really didn't do anything with the tone arm. I will check it out.

MikeD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »
Gary at VM Enthusiasts has all the doodads you need to get your changer going again.  It sounds to me like you have something with hardened grease on it.  It is not tripping the cycling mechanism at the end of the record.

I did a cleaning and re-oiling and greased all areas previously greased with white lithium. That said I had it out and didn't manage to destroy it so I can do it again if need be. It may need a new drive wheel because the speed does not seem consistant. Is this the wow that  I see mentioned in other posts?

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »
"Wow" is a slowish speed fluctuation.  "Flutter" is rapid fluctuation.  Make sure the inside of the turntable rim has been cleaned with a good solvent.  You an also clean the idler wheel rubber with alcohol. Or try using a stationary belt or disc sander.  Use a nail or something as an axle and hold the idler wheel at a slight angle to the direction of movement of the abrasive.  It will scuff off a bit of hardened rubber and may revive the wheel long enough to enjoy your device while you're waiting for a new one to arrive.

For the tone arm, I had a GE portable phono with a tone arm that felt stiff.  I was not in a mood for compete disassembly so I just ran some WD-40 (which is mostly solvent anyway) from the top into the horizontal-plane bearings.  Last winter I revived an old Lenco turntable with a stiff arm.  For that, I disassembled it, cleaning and re-lubing the ball bearings.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:42 PM »
If you have not replaced the drive tire and motor mounts, you are wasting your time.  Period.  Disassembling the motor to clean and re-lube bearings is a good stunt as well.   ;)

Including what Chris posted.   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.