Author Topic: Motorola SK77 Find  (Read 3233 times)

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
Motorola SK77 Find
« on: March 30, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
Well, I didn't start out the day planning to buy another console but I found this one on Marketplace and it was less than two hours away. Turns out it is a Motorola SK77-WA. So far I don't know much about this model but the styling on this one was definitely too appealing to resist.

My guess is that once upon a time it was on legs, however,
someone did take the time to put on a very nice set of casters. The big surprise is how compact this unit is compared to my 1961 SK53. The other surprise is that it powered up and sounded great- at least through the radio. The turntable will need to be gone through completely- though the needle and cartridge appear to be fine.  Re-cap is also a no-brainer.  The cabinet is in excellent shape with a lot fewer scuffs than you'd expect for over 50 years.

In any case, a great find for me and I got it for quite a bit less than they were asking.

If anyone in the northeast US is looking for a 1961 Motorola SK53 I have one that will need a good home in order to keep peace in my home!
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Motorola SK77 Find
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »
Nice find!  It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!   ;) :)

A wise man on this forum would tell you "There is ALWAYS room for ONE more!   :)

Perhaps you should learn to stack.   ;) ;) :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
LOL- yeah, I've seen that advise posted before.  But after almost 30 years together I have a pretty good idea of how much she'll tolerate... and I'm at the limit! Keep in mind, my son and I are musicians and the bulk of our basement is set up with amps, guitars, PA system and two drum sets.  So she's already tolerating a couple of my high volume hobbies!

picard

• Pensacola. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
No better feeling than bringing home a new console

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 08:27:14 PM »
Congrats, it's beautiful!  Believe it or not, I have the same one.  And, as far as I can tell that model was low to the ground.  I do not have the casters, I have short stubby legs.  The exception, my cabinet looks like it was backed over by a large truck. The finish is what's bad, but it's savable, and is on my to do list.  ::) 

My question to you is, what output tubes do you have?  Apparently Motorola used 6V6's or 6BQ5's.  I have 6BQ5's.  Motorola Minion (Dave) knows a lot about Motorola.  I hope he chimes in here. 

I have an acquaintance who also has a Motorola with a similar cabinet but on taller legs.  It's pristine.  I mean show room new.  I have no idea what's under the hood for an amp, but it needs service and they want me to do it.  It will be interesting to see what's in there. 

Have fun with yours!

Bill

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
Hi Bill- I haven't taken the back off yet to see what the tubes are.  I imagine I'll do that tomorrow afternoon.  I'm quite thrilled with the condition of this unit- the finish is very nice (not perfect) and it appears to have had a good life.  Perhaps best of all is the fact it doesn't have any bad smells... must, dust or mildew.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »
Congrats, it's beautiful!  Believe it or not, I have the same one.  And, as far as I can tell that model was low to the ground.  I do not have the casters, I have short stubby legs.  The exception, my cabinet looks like it was backed over by a large truck. The finish is what's bad, but it's savable, and is on my to do list.  ::) 

My question to you is, what output tubes do you have?  Apparently Motorola used 6V6's or 6BQ5's.  I have 6BQ5's.  Motorola Minion (Dave) knows a lot about Motorola.  I hope he chimes in here. 

I have an acquaintance who also has a Motorola with a similar cabinet but on taller legs.  It's pristine.  I mean show room new.  I have no idea what's under the hood for an amp, but it needs service and they want me to do it.  It will be interesting to see what's in there. 

Have fun with yours!

Bill
Hi Bill- I took a photo today that should answer your question (short answer is 6V6).

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 11:00:46 PM »
It looks like my amp, except for the tubes.  It's hard to tell, is the woofer 12" or 15"?  I'm anxious to hear how you think it sounds. 

Bill

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:35 AM »
Bill- I think it sounds great as it is and linked a couple of videos under the Motorola section of the board.  For convenience here they are-  the first just a basic sound check with volume at 3, bass and treble each at  and Vibrasonic turned off.  The second is a short test of Vibrasonic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6lQoOqkTZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wfuYalq86s

I'll have to measure the speaker.

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
It looks like my amp, except for the tubes.  It's hard to tell, is the woofer 12" or 15"?  I'm anxious to hear how you think it sounds. 

Bill
Bill, this has the 15" speaker.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 07:15:01 PM »
Thanks, it sounds pretty good considering I'm listening on a IPad speaker.

Bill

AC207

• 207-450-7299
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »
Had the band over for practice tonight and took a break to show them the new console- I didn't realize the controls lit up... what a great look!  Hard to believe I'm more excited about this than when I got my Magnavox Imperial.  But that may be because this one needs so little work!

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 12:02:23 AM »
Love those lights.  I've been fascinated by lighted radio dials since I was a kid-- a friendly glowing presence in the dark, with voices and music. 

Chris Campbell

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Those lights are amazing. Its really too bad Motorola did not carry that design feature over to the 1963-4 models. Both mine have the AM and FM dials like a dashboard tach and speedo, the six smaller knobs have NO lights. I am not accepting this well, so I tried using plexiglass to protect the brown lettering and edge-lighting with orange LEDs

Those lighted dials are similar to what Zenith started doing on 1967 and later models using backlit orange and yellow lettering on the silver face.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:22:58 PM »
To me those '63 Motorolas looked like '57 Chevy dashboards!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY