Author Topic: 1964 Fisher Warwick - W59  (Read 11184 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
1964 Fisher Warwick - W59
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
The Warwick was a one-year-only model which had all tubes up to the driver tubes (6HU8) feeding the audio output driver transformer. I also have a Ambassador model A-69 which has essentially the same amp and tuner chassis with a higher power rating, but the same Fisher-made speakers. Both have the first-generation amp - output  transistors in parallel push-pull. (4 per channel)

I picked this up in Binghamton last week on a trip north. The price was more than reasonable. The Warwick was a big brother model a step above the custom Electra VII (second pic) of the same year, which had a tube amp. Both models look very similar except for record changers. The Electra has a Garrard AT60 and Warwick/Ambassador have a Garrard model A.

As you can see, I have a tendency to acquire Italian and French Provincial models. I overlook this fact when considering what is inside ;) While its not Scandinavian or "Contemporary", both are walnut and both need some refinishing work. I needed to repair some wobbly legs first just like on Ambassador, :-[, before even thinking of moving it again. I am none too impressed with Fisher cabinetry to date, especially if compared to Magnavox .
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
Re: 1964 Fisher Warwick - W59
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »
Glad it's in good hands!

That joinery and cabinet work is sure lacking, we had a Fisher in a French Provincial style from about 1961 or '62 around 25 years ago, it was a mid-level model but much better made than these '65s, all solid woods and legs very well constructed. Shame they let their cabinet quality slide, as otherwise they were top-notch!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:32:36 AM »
I hate moving these things if anything is structurally lacking. More damage always results no matter how careful you move it.

An observation was if you sealed the particle board bottoms with varnish or lacquer, that would keep moisture out and maybe it would not fall apart so easy.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »
That darn particle board was the beginning of the end for quality furniture making, and it's
only gotten worse, a lot of furniture sold nowadays is made in China, no longer in  N. Carolina or Grand Rapids.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »
The Warwick has been moved inside and behind the other Fisher, the Ambassador. Both of these are worthy of restoration mainly because of the electronics, not necessarily the speakers.

My 1967 Fisher Statesman cabinet did not meet specs for desirability, so now there are plenty of spare parts, including speakers which are hard to match ;) The cabinet took a one-way trip to a bonfire at the DVHRC antique radio swap meet last weekend. :-[ We sacrifice some so we can save others.

Once the particle board gets wet, just a little bit, it reminds me of a soggy wet phonebook!
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:37:20 PM »
A '60 or '61 Fisher console we once had had superb cabinet-work, but it seems it went downhill fast. The cabinets and speakers didn't always live up to the quality of the innards, sad to say.  Glad these will be saved/re-purposed!

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 07:00:06 AM »
I have a 64 Fisher ambassador as well. when I got mine all I had to do was tighten the bolts that hold the legs on. they are fine
keep in mind these consoles weigh almost 200 lbs or more, they are not meant to be moved from place to place
most people don't move these properly, they drag them and that will loosen anything.
by the way I paid 25.00 for my set 9 years ago. was in mint condition.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
Particle board was used in the bottom of the better consoles to prevent speaker "drumming".  I used to think it was used to save money, but, back in that time, particle board may have been more expensive than plywood.  The particle board of the 1960's is different than the particle board we have today.  It is necessary to use some type of method to keep the older particle board from delaminating.  Epoxy or shellac on the bottom, or perhaps both, work well to stabilize particle board.  Once it has been severely wet, it falls apart fairly quickly.  Magnavox put casters on many of its heavier models so they would be easier to move.  The legs were only there for show.  The wheels held the weight.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.