Author Topic: bunch of good tubes for sale reasonable!  (Read 264 times)

firedome

• View Profile
bunch of good tubes for sale reasonable!
« on: April 09, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
Some of you have 1000s of tubes, but for those of you who don't and might need certain tubes I'm cutting down my small collection to those I need for my few pieces.

Too much variety to list individually, let me know what's of interest and will give you the straight dope on each.  All used pulls from years past and tested well with no gas or shorts when we had a tester available.

Here's the list for now, more to come later:

5U4G, 5U4GB, 5Y3GT, many many small 6 series 9 pin tubes, let me know needs,
6A5G, 6AV5, 6BQ5, 6EU7, 6SL7, 6SN7, 6U5, 6V6GT.

For anything not shown just ask, you never know!
All priced 1/2 or less of eBay averages.
Can ship most up to 3 or 4 for $5.
Can take PayPal or check.
Thanks, Roger in NY
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: bunch of good tubes for sale reasonable!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
Any type 80 rectifiers?

Chris Campbell

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
Sorry, no Chris... years ago I got a factory flat of 100 (I think) NOS 80 ST shape Philcos in old style yellow and blue box, from the son of a hobbiest/collector, sold them to a tube re-seller, never had a unit that used them.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:29 PM »
I have a lot of the oldest 4,5 and 6 pin tubes. Types 24, 27 and 35/51 were the first screen-grid tubes which enabled high-gain RF and IF stages around 1930. Type 80 is popular as the first rectifier used in AC radios with transformers starting 1928 and used up to WWII, and I have a dozen or so. The 45 is a sought-after treasure as is the 2A3, both used as early high power audio outputs.

5 years ago I bought a garage lot full of boxed tubes and these pre-war ST's were the real treasures, not so much the loose, used post-war TV tubes, which I already had way too many of.  Sorting these logically was as fun as stamp collecting  ;), it kept me up all hours many nights till I was done, having put the boxed in tube caddy and loose tubes in vegetable flats, allowing for safe stacking.

To work on radios that pre-date octal 8-pin tubes, requires a tester no newer than late 1940s, pictured below. I got this Weston 798 over 40 years ago and added a 9-pin for 12AX7 and other dual-triodes, and made an adapter from 6V6 to test a 6BQ5 since then. It will give a good indication of condition but gm (gain in mho's) readings need corrected. Most AudioPhools use a Hickok or other expensive mutual-conductance tester for accuracy.

For the later tubes, and television tubes like compactrons with 12 pins, I built an EICO 635 kit right after I got the Weston. I looked at Heathkit tube tester kits but decided on the EICO. All I needed was a simple emission/gas tester that finds most but not all of the bad tubes in any given set. The only sockets the EICO lacks are for the 4-5-6 pin tubes of the 20's and early 30s. I also have a restored Supreme model 89 for those oldies.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »
My Heath and Knight emissions testers (built the first one, found the second) have sockets for just about all configurations pre-Octal and post-Octal.  (The Heath more so).

I've got a Victor RE-75 from about 1929 awaiting electronic restoration.  It uses P-P 45s.  Maybe that should be my next project--it's a radio-phono console and were noted for being a sophisticated TRF radio (each RF stage could be tuned individually during alignment) and apparently they sound pretty good (for 1929, probably).  This was a curbside find.  The voltage dividers were all burned out so a filter cap probably shorted.

Chris Campbell