Author Topic: Rare 1960 RCA PS-16 Blonde finish Mint  (Read 216 times)

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
Rare 1960 RCA PS-16 Blonde finish Mint
« on: April 13, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
Hi
 guys wanted to share this latest find. Rare 1960 RCA Blonde PS-16 in mint condition.v The other I found a few years ago in Walnut.
Amazing condition. Wanted to share this with you all.
This came from the Estate of a lady that just passed away not to long ago. This was in. their entertainment room. They used to hold gatherings in it, birthdays parties ect.. Everything in the room and much of the house was period 1960 danish modern furniture. in all my years of collecting I never seen a house with so many things like new than this place. The daughter said in 1960, they finished the basement of the house and made it a family entertainment room. they had a nice bar down there, nice danish modern chairs a nd a couch. they also had a vintage RCA color tv down there but that sold.
The lady had all the furniture down there covered with dust sheets and it basically preserved all this stuff. The lid on this set hasn't been opened in 45 years the daughter told me, which is why the finish is mint and not yellowed. was air conditioned and heated to in the room all this time
a real time capsule of a house. Danish modern furniture at the time people tended to buy walnut or teak, so to find one of these is rare as it is let alone in Blonde. RCA made three finished, Blonde Walnut and Mahogany. the other I have is walnut. Wanted to share with you all this rare set.

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Re: Rare 1960 RCA PS-16 Blonde finish Mint
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
Wow. Just wow. I think I need to start checking out the estate sales around here. Great find!
Charles
USAF Veteran

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:03:57 PM »
I went to an estate sale across the street from my mother's house today when I should have been out working on the boat.  No electronics but I did buy 2 8 mm movie cameras and an Argus 35 mm still camera (made in Ann Arbor).  Also a couple dividers for use with navigation charts.  And a big box of beat-up 45 rpm records.  Stop me before I spend more....

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 02:00:22 PM »
What an incredible find, but I think I hate you!   ;) :)  You have two of them!   It's on my wish list, maybe someday.  Does the walnut one have the radio/tuner?  Do you have any photos of what's under the hood? 

Congrats! 

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
Hi Bill.
No, the Walnut doesn't have a radio tuner in it, I do however have the tuner I bought a while ago and its been all recapped but I never installed it yet. myself I like the record storage, and there's no good music anymore on the radio that I like so I leave it out
but it just drops right in.
The walnut is the exact same as the blonde, same controls and changer. :)

You would have went delirious in this house, it was a time capsule. I got there at 6am to get in line and was first in line the house. I knew this was in the basement and went right to it and took the tag off it. there was a nice RCA color TV there to and there was a guy there for that, even though I was in there first I didn't take that because he wanted it. I feel he's been here since 6 to get that like I was this so that's the right thing. I got this and a nice set of Teak danish modern lamps and a few odds and ends.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »
If I might ask, where are you?  I'm just curious, wondering what state you were lucky enough to find two?   :)

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
Hi Bill. Northeast, not far from Boston.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
Thanks!  I have a cousin that lives near Boston as well.  I should start watching in your area and if I find one have her pick it up.  ::)

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 01:27:13 PM »
Added a few more pictures. I was only allowed to upload 6
First post.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
As many RCA consoles I see in my area, I never saw one of these other Larry's PS on this forum. Very interesting as RCA's go!

The controls look exactly like two I have from 1961-62.  Is this a two or three channel? Does it have reverberation chassis?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »
Hi Dave,
This is a Three channel Stereo. It doesn't have a reverb, That was something Motorola had on their three channel sets. It does have a Left Right stereo placement switch though

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:03:38 AM »
RCA did offered reverb at one time.  I have a RCA model VCR-45, which is three channel, that has the provision for reverb.  All the plugs, wires, everything you need to install the module is there.  All I need is the reverb module.  :(   Mine seems to be the PS-16, but in a different cabinet.  Same amp, same controls, but I have a button to turn on the reverb, and I have the tuner.  If you back up here, under RCA, you will see my thread on my set.  Also, Dave (Motorola Minion) posted service info under downloads here on the site.  I find it fascinating through the years, how all the companies, at one time or another, copied each other.  I guess anything to follow a trend and make a buck.  ::)

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
1960 and 61 were big years for Reverb, i had a three channel Motorola that had it but i never used it, I didn't like the way it sounded. I had a Zenith to from 61 that had it but that set i sold to a friend of mine. He still has it.

SeniorSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
1959MM, That finish on the blonde RCA is absolutely stunning.  I really like the "satellite" left and right speakers.  And to have the same set in both light oak and walnut is the icing on the cake.  Congratulations on a beautiful pair of consoles.  Thanks for sharing the photos.
Steve

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »
1960 and 61 were big years for Reverb, i had a three channel Motorola that had it but i never used it, I didn't like the way it sounded. I had a Zenith to from 61 that had it but that set i sold to a friend of mine. He still has it.
I'm waiting to hear if Magnavox ever offered reverb...I assume not because it was a gimmick to add an effect that often sounded good, to some, on instrumental material. 

My 69 Pontiac has a Reverb amp on the AM-FM non-stereo radio. It does not sound good unless you're on a smooth road and listening to certain program material, like you heard in a mall as a kid.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave